What's new

Router Modem 100Mbps Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiz1387

New Around Here
Hello
I just upgraded my internet to 100Mbps down and 5Mbps up. TW internet.

I always hit these speeds or above when connected straight to modem.

When I connect it to router (WRT54G-TM dd-wrt) I cant go above 35Mbps down (wired connection - no wifi). Upload is fine just download is the problem.

Is this a router limitation?
Because I thought this router can handle 100Mbps wired and 54mbps for wifi.

It is a router limitation. The 54s are work horses but the technology is thirteen years old.

The last time I tested one with LAN - LAN connections it was a bottle neck.

Keep the 54G as an AP in an area you don't need/want maximum speeds. If you flash with DD-WRT can also set them up as a bridge.

I was afraid so...thanks for confirming about this.

Will this model be a good replacement for me to get full speeds?
TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300

This is just for a home network.

Last edited:
I was afraid so...thanks for confirming about this.

Will this model be a good replacement for me to get full speeds?
TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300

This is just for a home network.

Nope. It won't give you 100 Mbps. You'll probably get 90 wired at most.

Get a Gigabit N600 router and you should be good to go.

Taking a look at that model seems kind of pricey and out of my budget.

I already spent over $90 on cable modem and cant spent that much more.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for affordable routers that will allow full speed of my connection?

Thanks

Taking a look at that model seems kind of pricey and out of my budget.

I already spent over $90 on cable modem and cant spent that much more.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for affordable routers that will allow full speed of my connection?

Thanks

You can get the N3500 for around $53.

Hello
I just upgraded my internet to 100Mbps down and 5Mbps up. TW internet.

I always hit these speeds or above when connected straight to modem.

When I connect it to router (WRT54G-TM dd-wrt) I cant go above 35Mbps down (wired connection - no wifi). Upload is fine just download is the problem.

Is this a router limitation?
Because I thought this router can handle 100Mbps wired and 54mbps for wifi.

You're not locked into T-Mobile Hotspot at Home are you? (WRT54G-TM is a specific variant for the old T-Mobile WIFi calling feature).

If not, then consider the WRT54G as being fairly old - it's capable, just not very fast compared to more recent gear, so I would suggest it's time to update - Linksys Refurb Store has some very good deals at the moment.

http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-Certified-Refurbished_stcVVcatId543906VVviewcat.htm

sfx

For example - the N600 class EA2700 is only $30USD, which is a pretty good deal for a decent router.

It's reviews on SNB Here and Here

Years ago, I had to retire my WRT54G since my upgrade from 10 to 30Mbps cable modem. The packet forwarding rate of the WRT54G could not keep up with the new speed.

You can reduce your plan since you can't get the speeds and use the savings for a faster WiFi and when you save up enough use it to buy one and then upgrade. Or just downgrade.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!