What's new

Router not responding to CLI or AMTM reboot command

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RandomUser777

Regular Contributor
I have noticed a strange behavior with two different ASUS routers, both running current (3004.388.7) Merlin firmware on an RT-AX86U_Pro and an RT-AX88U_Pro.

After some length of uptime (at least more than 5 days), the routers do not respond to a "service reboot", AMTM rr, or even the gui reboot button after changing wifi settings. AMTM or CLI options just return me to the command prompt, while the gui button starts the countdown, but just drops back to the gui without any reboot.

After a power cycle, they reboot just fine, and can be software rebooted by any/all methods. But at some point, the commands stop working.

I found this was happening when toolling around with wifi settings (changing channels, RTS, band, etc) - at some point the settings did not take effect (ie, manual 5ghz channel change 100 to 36 - gui says 36, but wireless log and clients still show channel 100), so I tried to soft reboot and nothing happened.

After the power cycle hard reboot, the soft reboot commands start working again (as I said above), and the wifi settings which were not applied work fine.

This is somewhat repeatable, meaning that to the best of my investigation this issue occurs as mentioned at least three times to each on the two routers.

I will repeat again in about a week, documenting exactly what settings I change and anything in the syslog to share. But if anyone else has experienced something similar, you're not alone, and if you have some insight, please share.

This isn’t a fix, but if you don’t care about uptime enabling the router’s scheduled reboot feature daily (suggest early morning) that should mitigate the issue.

@RandomUser777, if you are running any addon scripts, make sure to include those scripts. Also if running AiMesh may want to include that setup as well.

For me, no issues with the GUI reboot button on 3004.388.7/RT-AX86U Pro after days of use.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!