What's new

Router recommendation, please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glc

New Around Here
Hello, everyone.

I have read the stickies.

I need a router recommendation. I just subscribed to my local cable Internet (Cable One) with (up to) 50/2 meg service. Best speeds I can get through my old WRT54GL (DD-WRT) (10/100 WAN) are 20 ping, 42 down, 2.3 up. Connecting direct to a computer (Gig-E port) I get 10 ping, 52 down, 2.3 up (Speeds from speedtest.net). Modem is a Motorola SB6121 (Gig-E port). I'm pretty sure I've hit the WAN limitation of the WRT54GL, your charts show max 53.

What I'd like in a new router:

1. Gig-E WAN port.
2. DD-WRT compatibility.
3. Removable external antenna/antennas.
4. Enough WAN headroom to easily maintain my provider's full speed.
5. Least expensive without compromising quality/reliability.
6. Wireless speed is not important, but range is. N150 is plenty.

Thank you very much for reading this. I will probably get 2 of them, my son in law is probably going to be subscribing to the same service, we are both fed up with AT&T. I just ditched 3 meg service, he has 12 meg service and isn't happy with it.

I suppose that I have been too vague to get any replies, so let's try this -

Can I do any better for the money than an Asus RT-N16? The egg has it for $83.29 and there's a $10 rebate till the end of the month.

There's a number of choices - all depends on what you want to spend...

I tend to prefer Apple and Buffalo/Melco, as they tend to do more of their own HW/SW development, ASUS is also a decent choice. Cradlepoint is a decent alternative as well, but they tend to be more focused on the 3G/4G Wireless WAN side, but their gear is quite decent.

Don't let removable antenna's be a blocker. And DD-WRT, can cause more problems than it solves - but builds based on DD-WRT, such as Buffalo, have more QA and internal development behind them

sfx

Last edited:
If you drop DD-WRT you'll have far more choices. I used DD-WRT years ago, before common routers and SOHO routers had all the features that most do, today.

Okay, thank you both.

Here are my priorities from the wish list.

1. Under $100.
2. Gigabit WAN port.
3. The best wireless range possible for mixed devices - "G" laptops, "N" Androids and iPhones. None of the devices are 5 GHz capable. Wireless speed not an issue.

(In reference to #3, this is why I mentioned DD-WRT and removable antennas - so I can crank up the power and put high gain antennas on it if necessary)

Thank you, but it's $130 from any place that I'd be buying it from, a bit more than I want to spend. I also don't need dual band.