What's new

Router Speed Test (spdMerlin)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Just a quick query - I'm wondering why my upload speed varies so much (even in the middle of the night) and yet my download speed is very constant. My router has been automatically running speed tests every half an hour of the last 24 hours and the results show that the maximum upload speed was 826.78 Mbps and the minimum was 346.89 Mbps (the latter was the test result at 5.41 AM this morning). It's no big deal, but I'm just curious as to why could be happening, even when demand on the network would be relatively quiet. Any thoughts?
Automatic upload and download internet speed test.jpg

Is the speed test server set to automatic? You may just be hitting a slow test server. Try manually setting a test server and see if the results become more consistent.

Is the speed test server set to automatic? You may just be hitting a slow test server. Try manually setting a test server and see if the results become more consistent.
Thanks. I did actually do that when I set up spdMerlin. I also reported the issue to my ISP (Zen Internet) and they asked me to reset the ONT and then reboot my router. I did that late this morning and it has already improved things, including the latency. I'm going to leave it running overnight and then send an update to my ISP.

Attachments

• Automatic upload and download tests from the router.jpg
    Automatic upload and download tests from the router.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 13
You actually had the same "problem" and asked the same question some time ago:

My answer will be the same like before - residential ISP lines are not guaranteed, the speed is "up to". Your speeds are excellent.

The advice given by my ISP seems to have improved the situation, both the upload speed consistency and the latency.
Screenshot - 16_07_2024 , 08_58_48.jpg
Screenshot - 16_07_2024 , 08_59_29.jpg

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!