What's new

router suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kitkat12012

New Around Here
I'm currently looking into adding 5Ghz wireless N and gigabit lan support to my existing home network so I'm looking for a router that would let me do so.

Criterias include the following:
- must have 5Ghz, no need for dual band
- good throughput
- acceptable coverage
- gigabit lan

I'm reading some reviews right now but I was wondering if you guys can give some suggestions. I don't need anything fancy, I just need to add 5Ghz and gigabit lan support. I'm looking into spending about $50 or so but cheaper would be better.

Thanks

To get 5 GHz, you'll need to go dual-band. But you don't need simultaneous dual-band.

You're going to have a hard time getting Gigabit and dual band for $50. Nothing that I'd suggest to you would be anywhere near that.

- must have 5Ghz, no need for dual band
Thanks
5.8GHz becuase you think 2.4GHz is overwhelmed with too much traffic in the neighbors' WiFi? Are you certain?

You can buy an 802.11a access point and add it to your existing LAN. These are $75 or so, e.g., Engenious on NewEgg.

Our go for the dual band non-simultaneous WiFi router.
11n in 5.8GHz is nice but expensive; poor ROI.

If you don't mind buying a refurb you can get a Linksys WRT320N for less than $50 from a lot of sources. It's dual(non simultaneous) band and it has a Gbit switch. It would be easy to configure it to be your 5.8Ghz wireless AP.