What's new

Router + Switch Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raj29

New Around Here
Hi, I have an ASUS RT-AC87U running the latest Merlin Firmware. I connected a TP-Link TP-SG108 switch so that I could extend the number of devices however as soon as I connect the router to the switch, access to the internet stops. In addition, trying to reconnect to the wireless network doesn't work. I tried connecting the cable from the router directly to my laptop and it works fine. As soon as its in the switch the network stops working. Appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Hi, I have an ASUS RT-AC87U running the latest Merlin Firmware. I connected a TP-Link TP-SG108 switch so that I could extend the number of devices however as soon as I connect the router to the switch, access to the internet stops. In addition, trying to reconnect to the wireless network doesn't work. I tried connecting the cable from the router directly to my laptop and it works fine. As soon as its in the switch the network stops working. Appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Are you connecting the switch to the LAN side of the router? Have you tested each of the involved cables directly?

Sounds like the switch is overloading the router because the wireless should work whether the switch is plugged in or not. Also since the cable works fine with your laptop this kind of eliminates the cable. It sounds like a bad switch or bad or bad config,

I have another switch which I have connected to a powerline adapter which works fine. I tried that with my router and the same thing happened. I assume then its some sort of config that needs to be changed but I am not sure what that would be. Is there a setting on the router that I have to change ?

I have another switch which I have connected to a powerline adapter which works fine. I tried that with my router and the same thing happened. I assume then its some sort of config that needs to be changed but I am not sure what that would be. Is there a setting on the router that I have to change ?
At least two possibilities:

1) IP Address conflict between your router and the devices connected to the switch. Often the LAN-side address of the router is 192.168.1.1 -- make sure nothing else is using the same.

2) The connection should be Modem > WAN-side Router, LAN-side Router to switch. Other clients can be connected to either the LAN-side of the Router or to the switch -- no difference.