What's new

Router with GBit, VoIP & WLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hellbringer

New Around Here
I'm looking for a router that can replace my WRT54GS and if possible my Zyxel 2602 ADSL2+ router.
It must have:
- Gbit LAN
- VoIP
- WiFi (b/g/n: don't care)
- Less devices

(see attached network overview, GS116, server & PC's on the other side of the room)
I have a Zyxel router that has VoIP capability but no WiFi, only the firmware is absently *crap* (DNS server issues, settings that won't apply, etc) so I put it in bridge mode and my WRT54GS handles all the network routing, DHCP, DNS, etc.
The drawbacks of using the WRT54GS, is that it does not have VoIP and is only 100Mbit.
Since I want to be able to view HD content on my mediacenter & transfer large files from and to my fileserver I want it all on gigabit.

The options that I found:
- Replace the WRT54GS with a gigabit switch and use the Zyxel for DHCP & routing (unwanted because of the abolutly crappy firmware & no WiFi)
- Extra gigabit switch behind the Zyxel router and use the WRT54GS like an accesspoint (unwanted because of the abolutly crappy firmware and 3 devices to handle 4 functions! (ADSL modem, VoIP, WiFi))
- Billion BiPAC 7800N (Does not have VoIP so need a extra ATA so also quite costly)
- All other 'normal' routers with gigabit LAN & WiFi that i found don't have VoIP so I always need a extra ATA.

Is't there a router that has all these functions so I don't have a pile of network devices underneath my TV?

Attachments

• network overview.jpg
    network overview.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 554
Routers with VoIP support are hard to find. Most consumer manufacturers have backed away from the business of supplying them at retail and instead develop them for service providers.

Separating out the Gigabit Switch is pretty easy and will probably widen your choices.

For VOIP integrated with router, you may want to have a look at the products by Draytek and FRITZ!box:

They are more expensive than average routers, but more robust and will do all tthese functions in one.

Tnx for the quick reply's found a verry intresting ADSL/ADSL+/VDSL router:
http://www.wireless-blog.com/2009/02/06/new-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7390/

- VoIP (Analog & ISDN)
- DECT (connect 6 DECT phones directly to the router)
- 4 x Gigabit ethernet
- 2 GB flash memory onboard (NAS)
- USB interface for connection a HD or UMTS dongle
- Wireless N

Can't find it anywere on sale thow...
hmm: "The Fritz Box Fon WLAN 7390 is coming in fall 2009 on the market"

But reviews of the 7270 (it predecessor) are pretty grim, after 1,5 years in production:
* no 1Gbit port
* 802.11n is not available
* WLAN throughput 3MB / s (at 100% signal strength and no power management, the 24Mbit / s makes gross / 10-11MB / s (80-88MBit / s) with the cable)
* DECT still unstable
* High power consumption (12Watt) (According to the homepage: Average power 6-8 watts)

Last edited:
Dunno where you get your information but here in northern Europe, the Fritzboxes have an excellent reputation -among those anyone who uses VOIP in Soho situations. I use a Draytek myself but the Fritzboxes have great word of mouth and command a high price, even though there are have other choices available.

Also personally, I prefer to split my modem and router. All-in-ones promise a lot but you're inevitably gonna have some disappointment. At the moment I use a Thomson ST516 modem that can be picked up for the equivalent of 20 dollars, connected to a Draytek 2100VG VOIP router. Never been more satisfied and never had more uptime than with this setup.

The situation i now have is the same split setup (Zyxel / Linksys).
But it would be nice to reduce the amount of devices and at the same time improve my network to gigabit and wireless-N.
A Draytek 2100VG would not be an option because it has no gigabit, also i tested a Speedtouch 716v5 on this connection and the ADSL speed was much less than with the Zyxel (15500/1055 Zyxel vs 13200/890 Speedtouch)

But a split option is not a bad idea, I keep the Zyxel with crappy firmware and put a good gigabit router behind it, i'll think the Netgear WNDR3700 would be a nice choice, is the fastest for the lowest price.

I wasnt suggesting any specific Draytek model for you - they have lots of the, - I was just making the point that its probably best practice to keep the modem and router separate. Even if you can get it all in one box, you probably shouldnt.