What's new

Router with schedulable On Off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiglat

New Around Here
Hi everybody
I'm looking for a new router, max 100-120$, I just choosed 3-4 models but they miss a feature could be important for me.

Do you know if exist one with the ability to schedule the on e off mode ?

Attention, not only for the wireless section but the Whole router. For example turn on at 08 am and turn off at 24.00 pm, during the night could be in a sorta of stand by.

I'v alredy tried with a temporized plug-in but I think it's not a secure way for the electronic parts of the router.

thanks

A plug in timer would be the simplest if you totally want to shut down the router at a specific time and have it restart.

A custom script or feature in the GUI can probably be used to shut a router down but getting it to restart automatically may not be possible. Once the router is off it may be dead and not capable of being restarted without manually pressing the off/on switch.

If you just want to block Internet access for both wired and wireless devices at specific times on a daily basis look at Tomato firmware. It has the option to block access for all devices on a specific schedule which you can do on a daily basis.

You probably can do the same thing with other firmware, but if it can be done through the GUI or a simple script will need to check.

There's no way a router could have a global power on/off timer. If it's off, then it wouldn't be able to run the code that would turn it back on...

I was thinking that if one could implement some iRules in iptables - that would work... basically dropping outbound packets outside of the LAN.

Keeping a short DHCP lease time, and putting in a whitelist for MAC addresses would allow for access to the AP for management functions.

sfx

There's no way a router could have a global power on/off timer. If it's off, then it wouldn't be able to run the code that would turn it back on...

Yes of course. I tought some routers could be put in stand by mode and then reactivated when scheduling reaches the start time. probably the only way is to use a temporized plug
Thanks

Not really. Computers do it all the time. The hardware/firmware would simply need to support S5 and wake timers*. Not something that probably has large enough need to implement it for any company.

That said, the router in my garage I run as an outdoor AP, I have that on a plug in timer (the old fashioned mechanical kind that has the "15 minute" depressions on it to set the timer). No issues at all with it and I've been running it that way for...8 months now? Cuts power at 11:30pm and turns it back on at 8am (because I am basically never outside during the rest of the time. I already had the timer, so the cost was free, even if the simple little router only draws 2.8w).

*If you really wanted to get complex with the hardware, you could add S3 with WOL functionality, but that is probably beyond the level of complexity that you'd want to implement. I'd imagine that S3 with the switch ports working and the WAN "listening" (supposing magic packets on the WAN port is supported) probably would consume a significant fraction of the power that "fully on" would. S5 would likely make more sense, especially if it is S5 with NO networking functionality until the wake timer pulls it back up.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!