What's new

Router with VPN Support and many devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zelli21

New Around Here
I know you’ve been asked a zillon times already for router recommendations (I’m sorry to ask again) but after weeks of research, I’m still on the fence. I hope you can help me select which router will work best for my needs based on your experiences with the newer routers.

We have Uverse cable and internet with 24 mbps connection speed with a wireless cable box transmitter connected to the 2wire 3801HGV. It is located on the first floor in the far left corner of the house and the signal is terrible if you are in the front right side of the house on the first floor.

I work from home via VPN and I’d like to improve file transfer speeds, especially large (huge) files. I connect using Check Point SSL Network Extender web link. I'm hoping that having a QoS setting may help resolve some issues as then I could set my work laptop as priority.

Given the number and variety of devices, I would like to have parental controls at the server level rather than at the device level for easy of management. I need to be able to set time limits for some of the devices. By device, instead of globally, I need to block specific websites and apps (facebook, youtube, etc), in addition, by category to filter adult content. When needed, I need to be able to override the block with a password. I did try the free version of OpenDNS using an old Linksys wrt54G but not having a password override was an issue and it wasn’t blocking access to content on the android devices.

Lastly, I do stream movies from my server, along with Netflix, Amazon, and Playon. I don’t seem to have as many issues using Netflix and Amazon but from the server to the PS3 and SMP-N100 there is a lot of buffering and lag. I have tried using the powerline plug that AT&T gave me but that didn’t help.

I’ve been debating between the Asus RT-N66U and Linksys EA4500 or E4200v2, unless there is a better solution based on my described needs/situation. I'm like 90% decided against getting an AC router until I have some AC devices. As big brother is always watching somehow, I’ve decided to not worry about the Cloud aspect of Linksys.

Hopefully, this is enough information to provide me some guidance. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Needs:
  1. Improve VPN connection speed
  2. Parental controls
  3. Improves streaming video speed
House: Less than 2500 sq ft two-story rectangle (approx 50ft x 20ft)

Devices currently connect (11 wireless; 3 wired):
  • 1 Vista desktop with a wired connection (always connected)
  • 2 Windows 7 laptop with wireless N (1 is always connected)
  • 1 XP laptop with wireless G (always connected)
  • 1 Ipod Touch (always connected)
  • 1 Iphone
  • 1 Blackberry
  • 1 Android phone
  • 2 Android tables with wireless N (1 is always connected)
  • 1 PS3
  • 1 Sony SMP-N100 (media player) with wireless N
  • 1 HP Media Server wired connection (always connected)
  • 1 wireless cable transmitter wired connection (always connected)
Not connect due to needing parental controls (8 wireless):
  • 3 Ipod Touch
  • 1 Android table
  • 1 Kindle
  • 1 Ipad
  • 1 Nintendo DS
  • 1 Xbox 360