What's new

Routers and repeaters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

osmosizzz

Occasional Visitor
I got a netgear n600 router and a pair of amped wireless sr10000. They work great cover in a large building but on having an issue where I move from one zone of the building to another and my devices don't automatically switch to the one with strongest signal causing my speeds to degrade big time where if it connected to the one with stronger signal I would be fine. I also names the AP and the two repeaters the same ssid so it would be seamless going from one side of the building to another. What could I do to eliminate that problem?

Sent from my Oppo Find 5

Most likely a client issue - if the repeaters and the primary AP are on the same SSID, then it's the client that needs to pick and choose which one to connect with.

sfx

Most likely a client issue - if the repeaters and the primary AP are on the same SSID, then it's the client that needs to pick and choose which one to connect with.

sfx

Multiple devices were doing this however, laptop and 2 cell phones

Sent from my Oppo Find 5

I got a netgear n600 router and a pair of amped wireless sr10000. They work great cover in a large building but on having an issue where I move from one zone of the building to another and my devices don't automatically switch to the one with strongest signal causing my speeds to degrade big time where if it connected to the one with stronger signal I would be fine. I also names the AP and the two repeaters the same ssid so it would be seamless going from one side of the building to another. What could I do to eliminate that problem?

Sent from my Oppo Find 5

IEEE 802.11 does not define criteria for when a client device must/should search for a "better" access point (AP), where an AP is within a WIFi router or an Access Point device per se, etc.

Vendors mostly seem to stay with the current AP when its signal degrades due to mobility, or if the upstream (from client) direction is getting more and more errors... most seem to begin scanning for a better AP only when the signal strength is really too low. They're apparently ignoring the error rates on the IP layer.

Enterprise class managed WiFi (Cisco, Aruba et al) doesn't have these problems.

So all you can do is: Give each AP a unique SSID. The human user must click and take action to choose the SSID that's know to be better for where the moving user is going. Choice of channel number doesn't affect this strategy.

IEEE 802.11 does not define criteria for when a client device must/should search for a "better" access point (AP), where an AP is within a WIFi router or an Access Point device per se, etc.

Vendors mostly seem to stay with the current AP when its signal degrades due to mobility, or if the upstream (from client) direction is getting more and more errors... most seem to begin scanning for a better AP only when the signal strength is really too low. They're apparently ignoring the error rates on the IP layer.

Enterprise class managed WiFi (Cisco, Aruba et al) doesn't have these problems.

So all you can do is: Give each AP a unique SSID. The human user must click and take action to choose the SSID that's know to be better for where the moving user is going. Choice of channel number doesn't affect this strategy.

Alright sounds good. I'll just give the other two repeaters a new SSID

Sent from my Oppo Find 5

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!