What's new

Routing setup with huge file transfer as well as other clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan Wells

New Around Here
I have a slightly unusual question, because I have a dedicated machine performing a 30 TB file transfer (no, not all in one chunk - many years of photos going up to PhotoShelter - I'm a photographer by trade, and I also manage IT for a couple of other photogs). Due to the house setup, I don't think there is any good way to hardwire it - I rent, and can't drill holes). The massive transfer is going from an HP EliteBook G2 with AC867 wireless and good antennas. It's not far from the router (less than 25 feet), but is through a floor. There actually IS an old Ethernet cable, but it's not terminated, and I'm not at all sure it's gigabit rated - 100 Mbps Ethernet would be much slower than the wireless. Internet is fiber (I wouldn't be damnfool enough to try it with anything else), 150 Mbps symmetric, with gigabit available at a reasonable cost if PhotoShelter will take that much data at a time - I will check if I'm actually sending 150 reliably, then upgrade to gigabit if I'm saturating the 150 Mbps link...
I could put another wireless adapter on the EliteBook(either USB 3 or ExpressCard, if there were something enough faster to make it worth it). I could also power line it, either between the modem and the router OR the router and the HP, but I haven't heard of power line as fast as 2x2 AC.
In addition to the HP, there are two other groups of clients regularly on the network, plus occasional guests. One is my other devices, all of which are AC (an iPad Pro, an iPhone 6S+ and what will probably be a new MacBook Pro - waiting to see the Skylake MBPs before deciding between a Skylake and the present model. The two iOS devices need very little bandwidth - all I'd ever use them for at home is light web browsing and e-mail (I also write on the iPad, but that takes NO bandwidth). The MBP is my active photo machine (not going to bother the machine doing the massive archive backup), and will occasionally need substantial bandwidth.
The last group of clients is my land lady's machines - an old MBP, an old iPhone and an old iPad, none of which use any bandwidth at all (I'm not sure how many, if any, are AC capable), but I don't want them having to contend with mine, or especially with the HP. She was perfectly happy with 5 Mbps before I came along...
My present thought (I can put in any router I want, but not drill holes, and the client for the archive backup has a substantial budget - we can't do it at his office because he can't get symmetric Internet, and I can) is a Netgear Nighthawk 8500, mainly because of the three radios. Address all three separately - the 5 gHz radio with amplified antennae gets the HP and ONLY the HP. The secondary 5 gHz radio gets my remaining machines (of which I'd only use one at a time most of the time, and if I am using two, the second one is just email). The 2.4 gHz radio gets my land lady's machines(and any guests) and has a high QoS priority - she tends to use stuff way upstairs and needs range, but NOT bandwidth - sends a few emails, occasional Google search, a YouTube video once a week... It's not a big house, so even "way upstairs" is within 50-60 feet of the router... I seem to be getting that the 8500 is more stable than the AC5300 Asus - is that correct?
First of all, will this work well? Second, can anyone think of a better way - other than "hardwire the HP and use any AC1900 router with gigabit ports"

Dan

A 30TB upload? Good grief

Is the goal to have a backup?

Maybe use a tape drive & FedEx the tape to your vendor?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!