What's new

Rt-ac3100 on the way out?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chameo53

New Around Here
Bought this router when it was first released (HW very a1) and it has been very reliable until the last month or two. Have also been consistently using Merlin fw which has been excellent. I have had several instances where the 2.4ghz radio was not working although the 5ghz radio and Ethernet connection are fine. Initially by just rebooting the router both radios were working. I believe I had Merlin 384.4 installed.

This morning I noticed a security camera was not connecting and it was the 2.4ghz radio out again. This time a reboot did not bring the radio back. The power light would come on and the wan light would also. I think that several other lights flashed momentarily (very briefly) but then only the power light remained on., I tried several things - cleared nvram, reset to factory settings and then put it in recovery mode and ran the rescue restore utility (flashing Merlin fw 384.10_2). The utility completed successfully and I rebooted the router and again only the power light remained lit. I rebooted it again (same result) and tgen I let it sit for probably 15 minutes. Nothing other than the power light.

Assuming the router was essentially dead I figured time for a new router. Ran to BB (can't go too long without connectivity) to pick up a new router. Upon returning home I look at the router and realized I left it powered on but now the power and radio lights are on and the wan light is red (given the firmware restore). I was able to get into setup and then enter all my specific router entries to get everything running again.

So here's the question - any ideas as to what this last problem was caused by? Not sure if it specifically hardware (assume the loss of the 2.4 radio was likely hardware) but not sure if the problem today was more hardware issues or it was a software/firmware issue or some combination of both.

Might just keep the new router since it's always better to be proactive as problems always seem to happen at bad times but I also hate to throw away good money that might not be necessary.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

maybe only power adapter, try the new one on the old router if they have same plug an 19V output (Ampere can be different no problem for a simple test).

Yes, and also beware on whatever you have in your USB ports.. it may be dying and / or causing interferences, specially with the 2.4Ghz band.