What's new

RT-AC56U - Make DNS resolve DHCP client names?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zerowalker

Occasional Visitor
As topic says, I'm sure there's a better name for it but not sure what this is called.

Currently for example i got a raspberry pi connected, and if i ping it by name from the router it works fine and it can resolve it.
However if i try to ping it from my windows computer (which has the router as it's dns) it doesn't work,
so it doesn't resolve the DHCP names through a dns request I guess?

I'm not sure if that's supposed to work by default or not, so not sure if I messed something up.

My current settings is to have CloudFlare DNS set manually on both IPv4 and IPv6.
I attached the DHCP settings if those are matter.

Attachments

• DHCP config.PNG
    DHCP config.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 10
You should give your LAN a DNS domain name, so set that on the router to something like home.lan. Then reboot your clients. I don't know whether that will fix your problem but leaving it blank can cause Windows to have this sort of problem.

If the problem persists post the complete output you get from nslookup pi-name (change pi-name accordingly) on the Windows machine.

Currently for example i got a raspberry pi connected, and if i ping it by name from the router it works fine and it can resolve it.
However if i try to ping it from my windows computer (which has the router as it's dns) it doesn't work,
so it doesn't resolve the DHCP names through a dns request I guess?
In your attached screen capture image it indicates you have Manual Assignments active. Does the Raspberry Pi have an Manual Assignment? If so have you entered a value/name in the "Hostname (Optional)" field for that Raspberry Pi manual assignment?

Example:
manualassignment.jpg

Also make sure to set a Hostname in/on the Raspberry Pi itself.

Reboot the computer, Pi and router after making the changes.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!