What's new

RT-AC56U & SimpliSafe Outdoor Camera

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chinquapin

Occasional Visitor
Running stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.382_51641 (latest and last, AFAIK). Until SimpliSafe "updated" their Base Station firmware a year or more ago, my SS Outdoor Camera connected to the same 2.4 gHz guest network used (only) by the SimpliSafe Base Station. Both Base Station and Camera have assigned/dedicated internal IP addresses. After the SS firmware update, my camera shows to be OFF-LINE. However, if I force a "retry" from the SS app camera menu, it DOES connect and streams both audio and video. But, once I close the live stream, it reverts to reporting itself off-line. Even so, it still reports motion. LOTS of SS users report the identical problem, and SS seems clueless as to what caused or might cure the problem. The only suggestion SS has offered it to install a WiFi extender, NOT to extend the range of the WiFi network, but to afford some sort of unexplained isolation of the SS WiFi network from my router. This actually seems to have worked for at least some users, but SS can't say precisely why it does so.

Based on the rather squishy notion of some sort of further isolation that the standard guest network affords, I played with a number of settings, returning each to its default once I saw they made no difference. ONE did, though, if only briefly.

When I enabled AP Isolated on my 2.4gHz network (guest network for SS is ONLY 2.4 gHz), the outdoor camera suddenly showed to be online. Streamed on-demand w/o forcing a connection retry. After closing the stream, I found that the camera had reverted to showing itself off-line. Toggling the AP isolated multiple times got ONE further display of the camera being properly online. But only one more time. Other maneuvers failed, but included briefly turning off the firewall, port forwarding to both SS camera (8890) and Base Station (8899), and even placing the camera and the SS Base Station on DMZ (sequentially).

So, I'm left scratching my head. I'm NOT that savvy w networking, but I'd like to know HOW a WiFi extender could allow my camera to connect to my network, and what such an extender might provide that cannot be as easily configured on my router. Still reading? Thanks.

AP isolation just disallows any communication between client to avoid ARP poisoning. So maybe either the camera or the base station is chatting up one of the other clients and gets stuck.