What's new

RT-AC66U - Firmware missed frequently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sgyh0521

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I've been using a RT-AC66U for nearly half a year and I got a strange problem:

Sometimes when I start the router the next morning(I usually turn the router off after the using of the whole days before bed), its firmware missed and the router is in rescue mode[emoji15]
In this situation I have to flash the firmware using the ASUS official Firmware Restoration utility, and I cant see CFE in 192.168.1.1...
Rebooting also doesnt work as well.

I used to change the firmware from the official one to TOMATO and merlin but all of them didnt work.
Only after I reset my NVRAM that this problem occur much less, to once a week[emoji27], while it could occured nearly everyday before I reset NVRAM...But totally it occured from less to more.

I wonder if it could be a hardware problem or CFE problem?(CFE version1.0.0.7)

As I bought it in Taiwan but I live in China, it could cost a long time to get it fixed[emoji23]

What firmware are you running now?

Why are you shutting down the router daily?

Does this happen if you leave the router powered up?

Do your roommates/siblings have a running joke going with you? ;)

What firmware are you running now?

Why are you shutting down the router daily?

Does this happen if you leave the router powered up?

Do your roommates/siblings have a running joke going with you? ;)

using merlin 376.45

I use it at home and my parents ask me to shut it down before bed[emoji1]

it only occurs if I start the router again in the morning.

How about starting with not turning it off.

I believe you can go in and turn off the LEDs on the unit so it will appear to be turned off.

Otherwise this sounds like a hardware defect to me.

Hi,
I never turn off any thing in the house. They all stay in stand-by or sleep mode. Frequent
powering up/down increases the chance of equipment failure. Some increase in utility bill,
I consider it as insurance premium. Like most important time in flying is during take-off and landing, LOL! Is the router idle always when it is turned off?

I believe you can go in and turn off the LEDs on the unit so it will appear to be turned off.

Should be at Tools > Other Setting > Miscellaneous Options

Attachments

• stealth.JPG
    stealth.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 295
If you are not wanting the radios transmitting all night you can go into Wireless -> Professional and then click Yes radio button beside Enable Wireless Scheduler. Then you can configure the Time of Day settings for when the radio(s) should be on. You need to set this for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios. Don't forget to click APPLY at the bottom too!

One side effect that I had in the past was that some of my Apple devices that were expecting the connection to be there 24-7 didn't always reconnect until I power cycled them.

If you want to conserve energy or cut down on bills, dont flush the toilet until you peed 3 times. You will save more money then turning off the router each night. Might as well get a sollar charger for cell phones and laptops.

My guess the router is faulty/broken and should be exchanged. TVs get turned on and off several times a day, yet they exbit no issues.

For some reason this is a semi-common issue for the RT-AC66U (where the router would suddenly find itself unable to reboot back into the firmware and end up in recovery mode). Usually reflashing it should resolve the issue. I would also recommend trying a factory default reset, and reconfiguring it from scratch in case it's nvram-level corruption.