What's new

RT-AC66U with AsusWRT - unstable with USB HDD attached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

algorab

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I just bought an AC66U router and loaded the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware, version 376.48_3.

When I use the router with no USB HDD, it is very stable and I cannot complain about it. However, when I connect the external HDD, things start to get unpleasant.

The HDD is 2TB formatted ext3. The enclosure has power in. Here's what happens.

1. On USB attach, the router shows the peripheral in the webUI and takes some time to mount it, depending on whether it needs to execute a fsck.
2. With no network activity to the HDD (over SMB or NFS) , the router keeps the drive active and spinning for around 5 - 10 minutes. Diring this time, everything looks OK.
3. After this period of time, something happens because the client gets disconnected frm the WIFI. The event looks like a software reboot and I get this info from the output of dmesg.
4. After the WiFi is reconnected, the webUI either shows the drive unmounted, or it does not show any device being attached. If the device does not show as being attached, in /dev folder there is no sd* device listed.

If I unplug and replug, we go from start.

This setup is very unstable and it is driving me nuts.

Can anyone recommend what I should look for in order to figure out what is going on?

Could it be that this build of the firmware is unstable in this way? Should I downgrade? If yes, which version would you recommend?

Thank you for helping.

- Algorab

You may want to try formatting the drive as EXT4 instead.