What's new

RT-AC66U_B1 not using 2nd CPU core

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

I have it setup with Download QoS Only at 102Mbps. While running The latest version of Merlin. My CPU 1 maxes out at 85%+ While downloading. While CPU 2 is sitting at 5% or less not being used. Is this normal? While downloading it seems to really slow down YouTube videos from loading etc. BUT EdgeRouter X starts a YouTube video just fine while at the same time maxing out my connection.

And another thing, QoS is not working which is what I was afraid of. I'm using adaptive which works almost completely but speed tests like DSLReports speedtest STILL can some how pull way over what I had it set to. Its set to 100Mbps, But yet DSLReports can still pull 112Mbps causing High pings. And then traditional QoS does not work at all.

Last edited:
In my experience core 1 seems to handle WAN<>LAN traffic and NAT. I see core 2 start to increase when using wifi. Just ran a couple of test. Running a speed test on the wired computer I see core 1 at 100% and core 2 at 0% at 940 Mbps. Running the test on my phone I see core 1 at 40% and core 2 at 60% at 500 Mbps. Core 2 also seems to handle the VPN duties on the router. From earlier test:
DL: 44 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 80%
UL: 58 Mbps with core 1 at 40%, core 2 at 100%

In summary my guess is that core 1 handles WAN<>LAN traffic and NAT and core 2 handles everything else.

Try installing LEDE/OpenWRT there is a "irqbalance" package that allows cpu load balancing.

Did you use Merlin version for the AC68U to flash your AC66U B1?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Did you use Merlin version for the AC68U to flash your AC66U B1?

Yeah and it worked perfectly, other than QoS which also does not work stock either. I may just go back to the edgerouter X

Try the newest Asus firmware for the AC68U. Several issues have been fixed.

380.7743 out yesterday. Not on all Asus web sites but is on UK and GLOBAL.

I've done a few tests with irqbalance, and couldn't find any performance improvements in my tests. irqbalance will balance things between both cores, but it doesn't make the code become multithreaded and use more than one at once. Asus has already manually finetuned CPU affinity, so only a few corner cases should benefit from automatic irq balancing.

If you want to experiment yourself, by compiled irqbalance exe is here:

https://www.mediafire.com/#ftf9kjixr1a5f

Only reason I mentioned it, was for some routers IRQ balance helped as CPU affinities were lopsided. But yeah it won't make it multithreaded.

So the AC66U B1 will accept AC68U firmwares?? I thought that was blocked even being the same hardware.

It's the exact same firmware. There's no separate firmware for the RT-AC66U_B1, Asus simply renames the file.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!