What's new

RT-AC68U and USB Hard Drive no longer visible in Windows 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SRGilbert

New Around Here
Hello all, I don't usually need help, but this one has me very annoyed. It's probably something stupidly simple that I'm forgetting.

I've had my RT-AC68U for a while now and I really like it. I keep a 3 gig WD USB 3.0 hard drive attached all the time and use it mostly for media storage that I can access with a number of KODI enabled devices (as well as smartphones) around the house.

Yesterday, I decided to remove the drive so I could do a backup. Removed it within the interface, disconnected it, did the backup, and reconnected the drive. As usual (for me at least), I needed to reboot the router to get it to see the drive.

Here's the problem - every device in the house can see and access the drive except my main Win7 computer that is connected via ethernet. I can access the router web page, and under my Network/Network Infrastructure I can see the router as a device on the network. I certainly have network access, I'm on it right now. I've tried rebooting everything. I've changed nothing at all. I just can't see that hard drive in Windows like I could before.

What could I be missing? Why has it worked all this time on that same computer but not now?

I do have one confession that is bound to make me look pretty dumb. I don't think I've ever updated the firmware, at least not since I first bought it. Right now it's on Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.376_3626 which I think is pretty old. I guess I'm from the school of thought that if it's working fine, don't mess with it! Assuming that the first advice I'm going to get is it do an update, what would be the best way to go about it? Are there any specific challenges when coming from a version so old?

Thanks

Scott

Here's the problem - every device in the house can see and access the drive except my main Win7 computer that is connected via ethernet.
What could I be missing? Why has it worked all this time on that same computer but not now?
Did you do this to enable Win7 to work as client for samba shares?
I don't think I've ever updated the firmware, at least not since I first bought it. Right now it's on Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.376_3626 which I think is pretty old. I guess I'm from the school of thought that if it's working fine, don't mess with it!
Yes, update to the latest Asus firmware or do yourself a favor and go for Merlin's fork (install first version 50 and the the latest one) - after the update do a factory rest and re-configure the router manually! :rolleyes:

Why update? Look into the change logs for the many versions after your current one: Many, many bugs fixed and even more security issues resolved! :oops:

Last edited: