What's new

RT-AC68U-downloading problem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jon wick

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I have a serious problem here.

Connected to my ASUS RT-AC68U. When I try to download language pack in windows it never downloads and same with windows update it most of the times shows downloading but not starts. Tried every way I find on the internet. Still no luck. Installed new windows thinking its windows problem. Resetting router. Changing lan cable. But no luck. Even recently I tried to download gta5 it not even start.

Suddenly out of curiosity I changed my router to cheap tenda-n301(spare and isp provided) and it starts downloading gta-5. Then I tried to download windows update it works and language pack also downloaded.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with my asus 68u? help me?

Without knowing the setup and firmware version of your router it is hard to tell.
Revert the router to factory defaults and set it up manual and minimal to get Internet access, then try again.
Also make sure the router has the latest firmware version installed.

I am on the PPPoE connection with fiber connection to home with ONU modem to router (rt-ac68u) with latest merlin firmware installed.
current setup is
AI protection on
mannual ip assigned to devices
both wifi bands in operation
no script installed
bandwidth limiter for mobile devices.

I am on the PPPoE connection with fiber connection to home with ONU modem to router (rt-ac68u) with latest merlin firmware installed.
current setup is
AI protection on
mannual ip assigned to devices
both wifi bands in operation
no script installed
By manual IP assigned to devices do you mean static IP set at the device? If so let the router assign the IP with its DHCP. AiProtect could be blocking the connection so turn it off for a test. Switch DNS upstream if you have changed it. Turn off IPV6 if it is enabled. Disable bandwidth limiter and QOS .
May I recommend that if Merlin 384.17 does not work go back to the official Asus firmware.

By manual IP assigned to devices do you mean static IP set at the device? If so let the router assign the IP with its DHCP. AiProtect could be blocking the connection so turn it off for a test. Switch DNS upstream if you have changed it. Turn off IPV6 if it is enabled. Disable bandwidth limiter and QOS .
May I recommend that if Merlin 384.17 does not work go back to the official Asus firmware.
Yes, static IP assign to device's.

Ok I'll try these and update you.
Thanks

I am on the PPPoE connection with fiber...

I'm wondering if bandwidth limiting may cause the issue. Specifically, if in Windows:
  1. Settings > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization > Advanced Options >
    the Download settings may cause undue restriction when balanced against the bandwidth limiter; also if

2. Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options >
    how download updates over metered connections is set and is this may cause a conflict when balanced against the bandwidth limiter assuming bandwidth limiter does institute some sort of metering.
Please do update us with your results.

I tried different versions of asus firmware like asus original firmware, asus merlin and john fork.

Ai protection is disable in asuswrt and asus merlin.

Asuswrt (original firmware) i tried versions (385.20490) (384.81351) (384.32738)

I also tried asus merlin (384.17_0)
(384.16) (384.14_2) and alpha version (384.18 alpha)

John fork version 43e6

As my downloading problem still exists in asus original firmware and asus merlin both.
Windows update, languade pack not downloading.
Game launcher didn't downloading/updating (blizzard launcher)
And game in epic launcher stops after downloading less than 100 mb of data and speeds starts dropping till it become 0 mbps.

In latest merlin alpha (384.18) as i start downloading speed start dropping and after downloading some data it become 0. (game data as well as other files which i download from the internet like graphic driver)

But in john fork everything works windows update work fine, game download, launcher update work fine. Windows language pack also downloaded.

Its strange that in John fork it works but in newer firmware its not.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if bandwidth limiting may cause the issue. Specifically, if in Windows:
  1. Settings > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization > Advanced Options >
    the Download settings may cause undue restriction when balanced against the bandwidth limiter; also if

2. Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options >
    how download updates over metered connections is set and is this may cause a conflict when balanced against the bandwidth limiter assuming bandwidth limiter does institute some sort of metering.
Please do update us with your results.

this is my windows setting

Attachments

• advance options.png
    advance options.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 142
  • advance options2.png
    advance options2.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 127
...in john fork everything works windows update work fine, game download, launcher update work fine. Windows language pack also downloaded. ...this is my windows setting

• Could be problems in the Asus/Merlin FW;
  • could have to do with how strictly that FW interacts with your [x] Download updates over metered connections (extra charges may apply) as shown in the options 2 pic; or
  • could be a security issue in John fork version 43e6 that allows it run unfettered.
Regardless, glad you got it working.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!