What's new

RT-AC68U: how to release WAN ip address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lamsao

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I am using Verizon FiOS internet and currently having a RT-AC68U running Merlin 467.47 firmware as the main router. I need to put back the Verizon router for Verizon technician to troubleshoot a problem with TV (I don't think it's related to the RT-AC68U router but well ...).

Does anyone where/how to release WAN IP address an RT-AC68U?

Many thanks,
lamsao

Turn the WAN interface off from the main page, wait a few seconds, turn it back on. The DHCP client issues a release request when the WAN interface gets turned off.

However this won't make your ISP forget the last MAC it saw, it will only release the IP address. So if it caches MACs like many cable providers do, you will need to power down the modem for 5-10 mins to really reset it.

Turn the WAN interface off from the main page, wait a few seconds, turn it back on. The DHCP client issues a release request when the WAN interface gets turned off.

However this won't make your ISP forget the last MAC it saw, it will only release the IP address. So if it caches MACs like many cable providers do, you will need to power down the modem for 5-10 mins to really reset it.

I tried to turn my router off for more than a day and nothing happened . Is it possible to change the mac address ? Btw Cloning dose not work

I tried to turn my router off for more than a day and nothing happened . Is it possible to change the mac address ? Btw Cloning dose not work

You need to turn off the modem for 10 to 30 minutes, not the router.

Unless you have a static IP you should be able to change your IP with the previous described methods. Reset your modem then and power it off/on.
What kind of WAN connection you have?! Cable?!

Last edited:
Unless you have a static IP you should be able to change your IP with the previous described methods. Reset your modem then and power it off/on.
What kind of WAN connection you have?! Cable?!

yes it's cable , when i enable the nat service in the modem it changes the ip but as soon as nat is disabled it gose back to same ip

did a reset like 3 times and kept it off for more than a day and it's still the same . I have a feeling that my isp links the ip with the router mac address

contacted high tech customer support while my nat is disabled , they do reset the wan interface and it succeeds but with the same ip :D

Last edited:

I tried to turn off the WAN interface and it did not work.

I used to have a TP-LINK router and it has an option to release the WAN IP. The Verizon router also has that option. Just wonder why ASUS router does not have one (that works).

Well, it's not the end of the world though because I can turn off the router and wait for 2 hours for the IP to expire. It's just very inconvenient every time I need to swap the router:(

I tried to turn off the WAN interface and it did not work.

I used to have a TP-LINK router and it has an option to release the WAN IP. The Verizon router also has that option. Just wonder why ASUS router does not have one (that works).

I remember that the code was clearly telling the DHCP client to issue a release when turning WAN off. Either that got changed at one point, or releasing the IP isn't enough for your ISP - quite a few ISPs will still associate the previously allocated IP to your MAC. So if you send another lease request without changing MAC, the ISP will give you the same IP.

I remember that the code was clearly telling the DHCP client to issue a release when turning WAN off. Either that got changed at one point, or releasing the IP isn't enough for your ISP - quite a few ISPs will still associate the previously allocated IP to your MAC. So if you send another lease request without changing MAC, the ISP will give you the same IP.

Merlin is correct. Many cable ISP's will associate the IP address with the mac address and turning off the modem for a day or maybe even a week will not change the dynamic ip. The only sure way to change it is to put a different device with a different mac address behind the modem or clone a mac address form another device on your local network.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!