What's new

RT-AC68U questions: Root permissions, Work group + more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TnF

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys i've got the following questions. I'm currently running stock ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.378_4585.

-I have set up Samba, FTP and DLNA. Any documents in the root directory of the usb storage devices are shown and accessible by DLNA, but with Samba and FTP i can only access and see the folders in the root directory. It doesn't report the files in the root, only the folders which seems to be a weird permission thing.

-I'm not familiar with Workgroups, but currently by computer (windows 7) can access the Samba (network place) normally using my log in details. The Work group name is WORKGROUP. If i go into Network and Sharing Center i can create a HomeGroup but it doesn't show me/detect the existing on the router to join.

-Finally what are the benefits of upgrading to a Merlin build from my firmware? Can i upgrade to an older Merlin build to play with the RF transmit? I bought the router from UK, and i use it in Cyprus with is in EU. Unlike what i read i have all 5ghz channels available not only 4 as reported, and i can actually decrease the transmit power ("Tx power adjustment") in the "Professional" tab (which i swear wasn't there before i updated from a 6 month old build). Does this means my bootloader hasn't updated? What region is it running now?

Kind regards,
TnF

Homegroups and Workgroups are totally different concepts (just like Domains). Homegroups are actually an hybrid between Workgroups and Domains. They aren't related to the router in any way.

Homegroups and Workgroups are totally different concepts (just like Domains). Homegroups are actually an hybrid between Workgroups and Domains. They aren't related to the router in any way.

Thanks Merlin! It's funny how the last person i expected to reply these basic questions replied..How about my 1st or 3RD ( :) ) question?:p Should i update to your firmware or not? :p

Ok just to add to my 3rd question. I checked and i'm running 1.0.2.0 bootloader. Technically the EU one but i'm not sure how to check. I overclocked to 1000,800, committed, rebooted, checked again the clocks and it stayed which is good. Now, which is the best merlin build to upgrade without loosing this functionality (as well as the extra 5ghz channels, ability to change rf power, etc..). From the change log it seems from version 378.50 there are major changes, especially to the bootloader..

edit:
nvram get boardrev
0x1100
nvram get HW_ver

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!