What's new

RT-AC68U wired throughput issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aqua205

New Around Here
Hello all,

I am getting slow throughput from my RT-AC68U to an older laptop with a hard wired 100MB connection. My wireless speeds are excellent, only wired is bad.

I recently change my configuration from this:

Cable Modem -> Linksys EA4500 gigabit router -> Netgear wndr3400 100MB router acting as access point -> older laptop with 100MB connection
I would get around 90MB using speedtest.net

My new configuration:
Cable Modem -> Linksys EA4500 gigabit router -> Asus RT-AC68U gigabit router acting as access point -> older laptop with 100MB connection
I now only get around 28MB using speedtest.net

If I bypass the RT-AC68U and go direct to my laptop I get around 90MB, and if I put my old wndr3400 100MB router in place I also get around 90MB.

I did borrow a trendnet gigbit router to put in place of the asus and got the exact same result 28MB.

So gigabit EA4500 direct to laptop gets 90MB, but gigabit EA4500 to another gigabit router to laptop = poor performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Bruce

Which firmware are you using in AC68??

Are all cables cat6 shielded?

Connected AC68 directly in to the modem.

Only use your ISPs speed test site.

I would start by pinging each device along the way. Not sure how much you know about computers but you would basically go to the windows command prompt (assuming you use windows). "ping -t -l 1500 192.168.1.1" That is an example that i would run minus the qoutes. I would bet that this simple test would help to figure out the device at fault.

I won't delete my comment in the event that it does help somebody else out but i want to go on the record of saying that i definitely shouldn't have skimmed your post before replying lol.

Last edited:
Which firmware are you using in AC68??

Are all cables cat6 shielded?

Connected AC68 directly in to the modem.

Only use your ISPs speed test site.

Always found it funny when my ISP tells me to use THEIR speedtest site to test my download or upload speed considering that almost every ISP uses speedtest.net anways.

Always found it funny when my ISP tells me to use THEIR speedtest site to test my download or upload speed considering that almost every ISP uses speedtest.net anways.

Mine says this too, I think It's hosted by them and gives the better result :D

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!