What's new

RT-AC86U. L2TP and Wireless problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Temchenko

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I am owner of AC86U for almost year now. And I am forced to use it as wireless repeater. Pretty pricey repeater, I'd say. The problem is that whenever you use L2TP protocol to connect internet via WAN port you'll face random wireless drops. Wired connection have no problems at that time. That problem is known to Asus. At least it was described number of times by users from Russia and CIS to Asus support. However it wasn't solved to date. Only way to solve that change you internet provider that uses pppoe. But I can't do that and I am stuck with L2TP connection only. Tried various firmware, including Merlin ones, nothing solves that problem. In repeater mode no wireless drops, so it's obviously not hardware issue. That problem was described by number of users at 4PDA forums too. I hope that Asus reps or honored RMerlin can solve that issue. I am ready to be tester if needed. It is sad that such promising piece of hardware can't be used as it meant to be...

Wold someone from official Asus reps comment on that issue or at least update us with information when it'll be fixed in firmware?
Thanks in advance.

Wold someone from official Asus reps comment on that issue or at least update us with information when it'll be fixed in firmware?
Thanks in advance.
The SNB forums are not an official Asus support channel. Contact Asus through their web site if you want Asus to reply to you.

The SNB forums are not an official Asus support channel. Contact Asus through their web site if you want Asus to reply to you.
Asus was contacted multiple times through their feedback form in WRT and website. It was not only me. As I already mentioned lots of CIS users experience these problems. They did it too. At the launch of AC86 there were Asus reps showing up on the forums here. That was one of the reasons of posting here.
Plus I hoped that RMerlin could look through that issue too and, if he have time, sort it out in his future releases.

There is zero relationship between L2TP and Wireless code.

There is zero relationship between L2TP and Wireless code.
Strangely enough wireless drops happens only in L2TP mode. Dynamic IP and PPPoe works fine. That is confirmed by number of users from CIS. I was using AC86U as wireless repeater because that issue for 6 months with zero hiccups. But recently I have switched it back to wireless router mode with latest firmware flash, of course, and after 6 hours Wi-Fi has stopped letting me into internet, while laptop that was connected via LAN was working perfectly fine. Reboot helped for another 3 hours and so on...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online