What's new

RT-AC86U won’t work as a node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avinitlarge

Occasional Visitor
I had one of my AC86’s as a node, after a power cut, I noticed the node was not there. I’ve tried resetting it, restoring it to factory and reinstalling the firmware. I’ve tried it as an access point and that works fine. When I try to add it as a node, the master finds the node but fails to connect, the internet light is red on the node.
I’ve tried different cables and ports but it just won’t connect.
I’m a bit confused 😕

I had one of my AC86’s as a node, after a power cut, I noticed the node was not there. I’ve tried resetting it, restoring it to factory and reinstalling the firmware. I’ve tried it as an access point and that works fine. When I try to add it as a node, the master finds the node but fails to connect, the internet light is red on the node.
I’ve tried different cables and ports but it just won’t connect.
I’m a bit confused 😕

Does the AC86U work as a normal router? Be sure to reset the firmware to its default settings before you configure it.

Sometimes electronics fail (fall over) during power events and then confuse the heck our of you... be prepared to discover that. Also, the AC86U has a record of failing... it has a power circuit that burns up and sometimes radio issues... confirm it works as a normal router... verify all WLAN signals broadcast and stay up steady/stable.

OE

Yep, works fine in every mode apart from node, if it didn’t work in other modes I would have just given up but with it working in other modes, I’m just baffled 🤯

It’s a AC86 with 2 other AC86 nodes and a AC68 which is in place of the AC86 in question. All running the latest stock FW.

It's hard to pinpoint the exact issue. Unfortunately, this RT-AC86U model is known for multiple hardware and software issues.

1. Factory reset the node
2. Connect Main router LAN1 port to Node WAN port via Ethernet cable
3. Once successful, disconnect
4. Place your Node at the desired location
5. The Node should now connect automatically...Ethernet backhaul or Wireless backhaul