What's new

RT-AC87 5GHz Dropout Troubleshoot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobF

Occasional Visitor
This thread dedicated to what appears to be an ongoing problem with 5GHz wifi dropout. In searching the various threads it appears many are experience similar 5mhz performance issues regardless of FW used.

I have a RT-87AC R/U and my laptop wifi is an Intel wifi link 5100agn. Most of the time connection is stable. But some times for no reason the link will drop and then reestablish several times and eventually it stabilizes and all is normal again.

I’m wondering if somehow as a forum we can identify anything in common for those of us experience this.

How many of use are experience this: Just a small group or is it wide spread ?
What type of devices do we have in common that experience this problem?

Hardware design: Is it the 87AC Broadcom / Quantenna split design?
Firmware: Is it a FW solution we all still need to wait for?
Specific device wifi receivers: i.e like my laptop Intel 5100agn?.

Just saying if we could consolidate this in a single thread perhaps we could help ourselves as well as Asus to target this specific problem for a fix.

Last edited:
I believe that quality control at ASUS for this router is horrendous.....After MONTHS of updating the BIOS trying to get the 5 GHZ channel to work....I finally gave up on this giant pile of dog excrement and bought a R8000 on black Friday.....Amazing...I updated the BIOS before setting anything up.....and wow...everything works! I can stream 3 HD isos at once from my synology NAS....and no studdering! No drop outs....my AC access point works flawlessly now! I without a doubt had a defective router with the 87U.....Roll the dice and you might get a good one like merlin has.....I was not so lucky....now I'm stuck with a 300 dollar ASUS boat anchor.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online