What's new

RT-AC87R Question from a Newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsq12

New Around Here
Hi,

First off, English is not my first language, so I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors and if I am not too clear with the questions I ask. I also apologize as I'm not very tech savvy. I also live in a very congested area and there are always at least 30-40 wi-fi networks around me, if not more.

I just purchase an RT-AC87R and flashed it with Merlin.

1. After each firmware update, how should I reboot the router? Should I just unplug it and wait about 30 seconds and plug it in again? I know when I log in to https://192.168.1.1 there is a reboot option, but I'm not sure what the proper way to reboot is. I've read of a 1-2-3 reboot, so something along those lines, but I have no clue what that specifically means.

2. The Tx Power Adjustment is at 100% by default. I'm trying to get my range to reach as far as possible and wasn't sure if I should leave it or change it.

3. Are there any changes I should make/you can recommend to help me extend my range since I live in a highly congested area?

4. I just read the article on here (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point) and it says to take the ethernet cable from my ISP's router and connect it to the LAN port on the Asus router, as I'm using my ISP's router as an access point. But in the manual it says to use the WAN port.

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for all my questions and for any spelling mistakes. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

1) Return this model while you can. It may work well for your current network needs, but it is a model that has many, many issues.

2) I would recommend an RT-AC56U or an RT-AC68U with RMerlin's hggomes fork.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

3) You might want to try your luck with the RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 too. But these are brand new models and even though the initial reports from users give them high marks, a stable 'final' RMerlin firmware (or a fork thereof) will be many weeks or months away.

3) You might want to try your luck with the RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 too. But these are brand new models and even though the initial reports from users give them high marks, a stable 'final' RMerlin firmware (or a fork thereof) will be many weeks or months away.

Currently RT-AC5300 is not supported by Merlin firmware, RT-AC3100 is...

Currently RT-AC5300 is not supported by Merlin firmware, RT-AC3100 is...

You're right. I should have put ', if ever for some models' at the end of my sentence. :)