What's new

RT-AC87U vs RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoloBond

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

Looking for advice on which router to buy.. right now I have an RT-AC66U and I need at least another 20 feet of coverage and increase speed for video steaming. I have multiple devices connected including 1xiPad, 3xiPhones, 1xiPods, 2xRokus, 2xComputers. I've read so any mixed reviews that I don't know which one to pick. Anyways, I'll appreciate any input you guys can give.

TIA!

Edit: wrong router model I have N66U

Last edited:
Instead of looking towards a new hardware solution first, have you considered:
  • Optimizing the location of the current router you use.
    • 10 feet above ground level.
    • Minimum 12" from walls and ceiling with 3 feet being ideal.
    • Centered in the area to be covered wirelessly.
    • Antennae positioned for best performance.
  • Optimizing the wireless channel used for each band.
    • Test throughput for each channel manually by transferring a very large file (1GB or larger) from a wired computer to a wireless laptop set to high performance mode in power options and preferably plugged in to the wall outlet.
    • Do not test for signal strength or by using a handheld device. Both of these ignore the fact that any program you use to test with will not give you an indication of the percent utilization of the radio frequencies that affect your chosen channel nor will a handheld device give you an accurate indication of the real throughput possible with a device that is not power limited.
  • Using the hggomes fork which unlocks Tx power settings.
    • PM hggomes for download links.

Hello all,

Looking for advice on which router to buy.. right now I have an RT-AC66U and I need at least another 20 feet of coverage and increase speed for video steaming. I have multiple devices connected including 1xiPad, 3xiPhones, 1xiPods, 2xRokus, 2xComputers. I've read so any mixed reviews that I don't know which one to pick. Anyways, I'll appreciate any input you guys can give.

TIA!
I have used AC66's (two of them) for more than a year, and had great luck with them for streaming media at distances of up to 40-50ft, using 5ghz with router located on one floor at one end of the house, and a repeater/bridge downstairs at the other end of the house. So I personally really love the AC66U's and their range and throughput.

I recently purchased an AC3200 and I like it even more than my AC66U's. I'm not using Smart Connect, just two additional 5ghz radios. I think the upper band radio has slightly better range and throughput than the lower 5ghz band radio.

I'm currently using the AC3200 upstairs and have repurposed one of my two AC66's to use as a Media Bridge (where I'd formerly used it as a Repeater), and have repurposed the other AC66U to function as a repeater, at a more distant spot in the house than I had been using the repeater previously.

I have observed that the physical connection rates on both the repeater and media bridge (i.e., the AC66U's) are significantly better with the AC3200 as router than they were when I was using one of my AC66U's as router.

I cannot comment on any differences you might observe between the 87U and the AC3200 because I've never used the 87U. But I will say the AC3200 has excellent range and in my case it's slightly improved the distance over which I can receive a solid signal to support streaming media, and provides me with significantly higher connection rates to my repeater and bridge than did the AC66U at the same distances.

I also have to comment that L&LD's suggestions are excellent. But one of them I do disagree with and I would seriously advise against using the version of firmware he suggests to unlock your Tx power settings beyond that permitted by the firmware you're currently using (whether it's 100mhz or 80mhz, depending on version of firmware is beside the point). There are good and valid reasons you shouldn't be blasting away beyond the power limits set for your region, including just being a good wifi neighbor when using shared airwaves. I am not trying to re-open old wounds or create a renewed controversy, but just giving my opinion. You're certainly free to do whatever you wish, but IMHO, using firmware that can't be properly vetted because there's no source code available is, in my estimation, an unwise move, so if you elect to follow that course, proceed at your own risk. Again, IMHO, if you want to be able to adjust TX beyond 80mhz, use John's 374.XX modifications to Merlin's FW (as to which the source code is readily available, thereby providing evidence of its trustworthiness). Otherwise, I would stick with the other recommendations, or consider placement of your AC66U when you buy either the 87U or AC3200 to a location that will effectively allow you to extend your wireless range for streaming media.

Last edited:
Instead of looking towards a new hardware solution first, have you considered:
  • Optimizing the location of the current router you use.
    • 10 feet above ground level.
    • Minimum 12" from walls and ceiling with 3 feet being ideal.
    • Centered in the area to be covered wirelessly.
    • Antennae positioned for best performance.
  • Optimizing the wireless channel used for each band.
    • Test throughput for each channel manually by transferring a very large file (1GB or larger) from a wired computer to a wireless laptop set to high performance mode in power options and preferably plugged in to the wall outlet.
    • Do not test for signal strength or by using a handheld device. Both of these ignore the fact that any program you use to test with will not give you an indication of the percent utilization of the radio frequencies that affect your chosen channel nor will a handheld device give you an accurate indication of the real throughput possible with a device that is not power limited.
  • Using the hggomes fork which unlocks Tx power settings.
    • PM hggomes for download links.

thanks for all the tips, I've tried everything and really the power is not there. I will I have to put it closer and unfortunately that's not an option that I have.

thanks for all the tips, I've tried everything and really the power is not there. I will I have to put it closer and unfortunately that's not an option that I have.

Just curious, you have also tried unlocked Tx power level firmware too?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!