What's new

RT-AX3000 Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mixmastamm

New Around Here
I have a pair of RT-AX3000's setup in a Mesh with Ethernet backhaul. Starting to kick around the idea of upgrading to more recent hardware. Network has 40 devices, mix of IoT, TVs/tablets and one Xbox. Based on threads, RT-AX86U PRO seems to be the recommendation. Is there a map/family tree of ASUS hardware and the many model names?

RT-AX86U Pro is the cheapest Asuswrt 5.0 compatible model with expected longer support. Other popular around models are RT-AX88U Pro and the gaming version GT-AX6000, both also Asuswrt 5.0 compatible. All Asuswrt-Merlin supported, but on Asuswrt 4.0 base at the moment.

If your current setup does well what you need it to do - continue using it. The difference >$400 later most likely won't be night and day.

If your current setup does well what you need it to do - continue using it. The difference >$400 later most likely won't be night and day.
Current setup is three years old, starting to notice issues while streaming video and work conference calls. I believe I've traced the issue to the routers dropping connections. I wasn't expecting a huge performance jump on the 86 Pro

Wireless interference -neighbors, self, including too much wireless power ?
Wall wart power supply degrading ?
Overheating ?

What devices are dropping connections - IOTs or ?

Wireless interference -neighbors, self, including too much wireless power ?
Wall wart power supply degrading ?
Overheating ?

What devices are dropping connections - IOTs or ?
Haven't thought about the WWPS. I'll try swapping between AXs to see if the problem travels.

Both AXs are in open air, nothing on them, I wouldn't expect heat to be an issue

Most likely configuration or wireless environment change issues. You perhaps have under 5-6 active devices at the same time. Your current routers are more than capable of handling this load with decent wireless speeds. The upgrade is like Honda Civic LX to Honda Civic Si.

or an IOT chattering too much

you might check your 2.4 and 5 GHz overlap dB signal levels between the two APs. Too much (too much Tx power) can cause issues.