What's new

RT-AX58U Constantly disconnecting - Newbie here

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yerba

New Around Here
Hi everyone, glad to find a community of people helping others with wifi issues. You all seem incredible from other threads I've looked at.

RT-AX58U Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.384_8601

For the past few months I've been having my wifi randomly disconnect for a couple minutes at a time, it disconnects all devices off the wifi and restarts. The LED on the router turns red for the internet. This happens like twice a day, but sometimes it can be unbearably happening three times in a single hour. I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff so I don't even know what is safe and good to share online (in terms of just trying to keep privacy/security stuff).

I have logs of the past three times this has happened tonight once it reset and I instantly went in, saved the log. Do I need to censure anything in these logs? Also the content of these logs seem somewhat random where the dates get mixed up so I'll try to be as clear as I can when I send them.

Here's a list of things I've tried so far:
Disabling QoS -- Didn't fix, re-enabled
Update Personal Computer's Wifi stuff -- Didn't fix (I tend to notice this problem happens a lot when I turn on my computer).
Set Channels to Manual -- Saw on a different thread someone suggest this to another person who had a similar problem. So it has now been set from Auto -> 2.4GHz (20 MHz, Channel 6), 5 GHz (80MHz, Channel 36) -- Still waiting to see if this seems to fix the problem, currently trying it out.

The first thing you should do is upgrade the firmware. Then as you are coming from a really old firmware, do a factory reset with initialize and manually reconfigure the router. Change only the settings needed to get the network up and running. Should help but if it doesn't come back with a report.

Firmware upgrade from this old version has to be done twice. First to 3.0.0.4.386.45898 (better followed by reset to defaults and manual configuration after) and then to whatever is the current firmware. Straight to current version upgrade attempt will fail.

Firmware upgrade from this old version has to be done twice. First to 3.0.0.4.386.45898 (better followed by reset to defaults and manual configuration after) and then to whatever is the current firmware. Straight to current version upgrade attempt will fail.
Thanks, I had not remembered this.

I had not remembered this

I remember just because I have one and was playing with it few months ago.

RT-AX58U Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.384_8601

The firmware on this router was never upgraded. This version is perhaps the initial release >4 years old. There is no point troubleshooting something outdated. Your router running this old firmware is a potential security risk and this is much bigger issue than your disconnecting Wi-Fi. I don't know how you have missed so many firmware upgrade notifications in GUI. You have to take action today.

I remember just because I have one and was playing with it few months ago.

The firmware on this router was never upgraded. This version is perhaps the initial release >4 years old. There is no point troubleshooting something outdated. Your router running this old firmware is a potential security risk and this is much bigger issue than your disconnecting Wi-Fi. I don't know how you have missed so many firmware upgrade notifications in GUI. You have to take action today.
Thanks Tech9!

The first thing you should do is upgrade the firmware. Then as you are coming from a really old firmware, do a factory reset with initialize and manually reconfigure the router. Change only the settings needed to get the network up and running. Should help but if it doesn't come back with a report.
Thanks for the help bbunge!

Update:
Sadly in the process of upgrading the firmware, it even failed when trying to update to 3.0.0.4.386.45898. Then I tried to do a factory reset of the router, to then later do another attempt at the firmware upgrade and it bricked the system. Was on Asus support trying to figure out how to get it running again to no help. Weirdest thing was is that it said it upgraded the firmware "successfully" but then it wouldn't update the firmware # at all. After being on the phone for a long time, I just decided to go with a new router. I now have a new RT-AX58U, and a seemingly broken one lol. Newest firmware is on the new router. I guess while on the topic that now I have a fresh start at a new router, do you recommend any faq's/guides for a new router on what settings to go try out? Also a lot of people on this forum seem to recommend Merlin firmware updates instead of standard Asus, should I go look at doing that?

If anyone knows about the error lights more than the asus support, it would blink white on 2.4GHz, then red on the Saturn looking one, clear, then show white on Saturn + whatever ports I had plugged in, then repeat. I don't really have use for this thing anymore unless someone knows exactly what's going on. Do people on here like messing with this stuff for fun? I'd prob be down for looking into shipping it to someone if they wanna just have some fun. I don't know how much that might cost though.

Edit:
Also my log keeps on having the following show up every few secconds, is it something to be concerned about?
Aug 4 12:41:01 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): eth3: Auth 00:F6:20:99:E9:52, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Aug 4 12:41:01 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): eth3: Assoc 00:F6:20:99:E9:52, status: Successful (0), rssi:-68
Aug 4 12:41:05 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth3: Deauth_ind 00:F6:20:99:E9:52, status: 0, reason: 4-way handshake timeout (f), rssi:-68
Aug 4 12:41:06 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth3: Deauth_ind 00:F6:20:99:E9:52, status: 0, reason: 4-way handshake timeout (f), rssi:-68

Last edited:
You have neglected your old router for a very long time and this is the reason for your troubles. Your new RT-AX58U router is perhaps different V2 hardware revision. Stay on stock Asuswrt firmware, use the same tested working settings for Wi-Fi, stay close to default settings for the rest.

Also my log keeps on having the following show up every few secconds

Forget the connection on this client, reconnect. If it happens to all Wi-Fi connected clients - your new Wi-Fi password is different than the old one.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!