What's new

RT-AX58U wired backhaul or wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
I have GT-AX6000 main router and RT-AX58U in wireless backhaul mesh node. The RT-AX58U specs say WiFi 6 (802.11ax) (5GHz) : up to 2402 Mbps. In my current configuration it is running at about 2000 Mbps Rx/Tx which seems pretty good. But I was thinking about getting a MoCA 2.5 Adapter (because I have cable in the house) to make it wired backhaul and free some 5GHz bandwidth for other devices/clients. Does that make sense or should I just stay with existing setup? Thanks

Ethernet or wired backhaul is always preferred as the WIFI at the node, unless there is a dedicated WIFI for backhaul, uses half of the WIFI bandwidth communicating to the node and the other half to the clients. WIFI mesh systems are made to improve connection not bandwidth.

Ethernet or wired backhaul is always preferred as the WIFI at the node, unless there is a dedicated WIFI for backhaul, uses half of the WIFI bandwidth communicating to the node and the other half to the clients. WIFI mesh systems are made to improve connection not bandwidth.

Thank you for your answer. So I take it you think getting the MoCA 2.5 Adapter and connecting node via it (cable/ethernet) is a good idea. I didn't know that even though the node is Tx/Rx ~2000 Mbps half of that is used between main and node communicating. So node clients only get a share of ~1000 Mbps, did I get that right? If I got the MoCA 2.5 Adapter and connected the node via it (cable/ethernet) the node clients would have greater bandwith or just connection?

I was thinking about getting goCoax MoCA 2.5. I have spectrum pc 20 modem. Do you know if I need POE filter? I read some things that say it's a good idea but you have to get the right one.

Last edited:
wireless clients get a share of the uplink/downlink bandwidth to the AP. Having more available "free" time on the wifi side allows more clients to connect or some clients to have more time. The actual connection link rate is determined by the settings in the AP and physical RF environment, not the uplink/downlink share time. If an AP uplink/downlink is over wifi, then the two APs prioritize the AP to AP link time over that of the clients by several methods.

Whether or not you will see higher throughput for an individual client depends on the physical link rate and the available free time in the AP wifi connection and wired backhaul versus wifi backhaul. Wired backhaul is more reliable and usually higher throughput for the backhaul.

All 4 of my APs function over moca 2 bonded backhaul.

Realize that your local bandwidth may not affect how fast a web page loads, but it could affect how fast you can run a backup or large file transfer to a local NAS or server.

wireless clients get a share of the uplink/downlink bandwidth to the AP. Having more available "free" time on the wifi side allows more clients to connect or some clients to have more time. The actual connection link rate is determined by the settings in the AP and physical RF environment, not the uplink/downlink share time. If an AP uplink/downlink is over wifi, then the two APs prioritize the AP to AP link time over that of the clients by several methods.

Whether or not you will see higher throughput for an individual client depends on the physical link rate and the available free time in the AP wifi connection and wired backhaul versus wifi backhaul. Wired backhaul is more reliable and usually higher throughput for the backhaul.

All 4 of my APs function over moca 2 bonded backhaul.

Realize that your local bandwidth may not affect how fast a web page loads, but it could affect how fast you can run a backup or large file transfer to a local NAS or server.

What hardware did you use?

On the moca 2 side, Actiontec 6200s as i needed OTA TV signal pass through and moca 2.5 was not available. Home run to demarc ONT is GoCoax moca 2.5. ISP is Gbit fiber. My layout is a star with an ethernet switch as the hub for all the moca ethernet connections in the wiring closet.
APs are old CISCO 371 AC APs.

Sweet. I purchased moca 2.5 with poe filter. Hope it all hooks up good and improves mesh and client connection. I'll report back...

Make sure you don't have any splitters left over from cable TV or OTA TV in the coax segment you are using for MOCA.

Is the coax RG59 or RG6 ( in the wall) ?

Make sure you don't have any splitters left over from cable TV or OTA TV in the coax segment you are using for MOCA.

Is the coax RG59 or RG6 ( in the wall) ?

I don't know, house is about 20 y/o. I'm following this guy's guide.

Do I have to do anything special to convert node from wireless backhaul to wired or will it automatically adjust once connected?

Last edited:
I don't know, house is about 20 y/o. I'm following this guy's guide.

Do I have to do anything special to convert node from wireless backhaul to wired or will it automatically adjust once connected?
i understand there is a setting for that that allows AUTO, WIFI, LAN or something like that. Don't know if you have to do on both of the pair or just the extension. Probably want to reboot both after. Maybe one of the ASUS users will chime in.