What's new

RT-AX59U causes packet losses every 10 minutes with GeForce NOW cloud gaming service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Volt

I have encountered a rather strange problem while using the RT-AX59U (uses MediaTek logic) router. I use the GeForce Now cloud gaming service, which uses UDP for streaming, and exactly every 10 minutes GeForce Now drops hundreds of packets, which results in the stream being interrupted for a couple of seconds. For the next ten minutes everything works perfectly, then exactly 10 minutes later the stream interrupts again for a few seconds, and so on endlessly. If I run a regular ping, then at the moment the stream is interrupted, there is no packet loss or increased latency, so it seems that the problem is only UDP-related. No router CPU usage spikes are also observer when this happens. Interestingly, this issue occurs when connected both via WiFi and Ethernet, so it is not WiFi-related. If I plug in the cable modem directly to the PC, the problem goes away, and the streaming works flawlessly for hours, so this is definitely not ISP-related.

I mention the chip manufacturer because I once saw a post by another user who observed regular latency spikes on TUF-AX4200, which is also MediaTek-based and very similar to RT-AX59U in terms of hardware, so possibly RT-AX59U is not the only router with this issue. Also, when I replace RT-AX59U with RT-AX82U or RT-AX56U (both use Broadcom chips), the problem goes away completely. I tried multiple resets, changed all possible settings, disconnected all other clients from the network, but nothing helps. It seems like the router is running some scheduled task every 10 minutes that is causing this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Last edited:

Background wireless scanning on windows? People with asus routers and using geforce now are commenting there. Maybe shutoff/disable/uninstall all wireless on your PC and try again. Could be a bug across all asus routers as one person has an ax86u/s.

I run the tuf-ax6000 (same filogic 830) with openwrt and don't experience any latency nor packet losses. If you have done everything (hard resets, firmware updates, check cables, check PC settings) and this is still happening, I would look into flashing openwrt.

Thanks for the link, I also investigated the problem in this direction (since I also use ax211 from Intel), but the problem was not solved. The fact that the same problem is observed when connecting via Ethernet suggests that it is most likely not in WiFi. I would not like to switch to OpenWrt yet, maybe the problem can still be solved in another way, although it is not clear yet how.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!