What's new

RT-AX82U Bandwidth limiter affects all devices instead of targeted device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smartbits

Occasional Visitor
My internet connection is 500/30. I have a guest staying with me for a while and I wanted to ensure that he doesn't consume all my bandwidth so I enabled QOS and used the bandwidth limiter feature to restrict his connection to 100mb/s down & 10mb/s up. The problem is that when this is enabled, my connection becomes 250/30. As soon as I turn off bandwidth limiter, my connection speed goes back to normal for all devices but I can't restrict my guest's device.

I researched this issue and it seems that as soon as bandwidth limiter is turned on, hardware acceleration is turned off automatically. But I'm unsure why this would effectively reduce my downstream speed by 50%. Is anyone able to use bandwidth limiter without this happening to them?

The CPU in your router can only effectively route 250 Mb of traffic without the help of hardware acceleration.

No, as it would deter sales. 🫡

Doh! That's not right. I guess I'll have to research other routers and somehow figure out if they have the same feature that is more usable. I guess it's all dependent on the CPU or is it a combination of CPU, RAM & firmware?

Even top models barely reach 500Mbps with no NAT acceleration.

Offer 2.4GHz N-only guest network with 20MHz channel bandwidth. It's technology limited to about 90Mbps to 2-stream client. At least you can limit the download speed with no whole network impact.

Even top models barely reach 500Mbps with no NAT acceleration.

Offer 2.4GHz N-only guest network with 20MHz channel bandwidth. It's technology limited to about 90Mbps to 2-stream client. At least you can limit the download speed with no whole network impact.

I didn't know I can limit a guest network to only the N standard. This could work. Thanks.

edit: I had forgotten that this can be selected in the wireless mode setting.

Most people use this band for IoTs with AX disabled for compatibility. Just disable AX and it becomes up to N band.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!