What's new

RT-AX86U 2.4ghz & 5ghz dropouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevejmcmurray

New Around Here
Hi I have an ASUS RT-AX86U router connected to my NBN modem that distributes the signal throughout my house. The router is located on the bottom floor in the back corner of the house and is kept inside a kitchen cupboard under the bench. I know this is not a great spot but it is the only spot that suits for the time being. The issue I am having is that both 5ghz and 2.4ghz are having dropouts - this happens a bit and we are having to reset the router to clear the issue.
What solutions would be most cost effective to make the wireless network more robust ? Should I be getting another ASUS and running an AIMESH connection to the other end of the house to ease congestion on the single router ? Or would a ethernet over power backbone to another router be better ?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated
Cheers
Steve

What congestion on a single router? Your router is perhaps constantly hunting for better channel and more bandwidth on Auto settings and this is causing the device disconnections. Some devices may not reconnect if the router jumps in DFS range control channel. Lock 2.4GHz at channel 6 and 20MHz bandwidth and 5GHz on channel 36 and 80MHz bandwidth and try again. The Wi-Fi settings are there for a reason. And take the router out of the cupboard. It has passive cooling and needs some air circulation. This is the worst place to keep a device like this and it may be overheating.

Thanks for the suggestions - I am no expert in this so any advice is appreciated. Getting the router out of the cupboard is the problem as I said before this is where the NBN modem is. Could I use a Ethernet over power adapter to connect the modem and the router and get the router in a more suitable spot this way ?

You can, but this may degrade your Internet line quality significantly. Power line adapters are not very reliable and most are slow.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!