What's new

RT-AX86U, Parental Control, and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

onthego41

New Around Here

RT-AX86u with Merlin 3004_388.8.2
lan = 10.100.141.0/24
wireguard server = 10.0.0.6/32 (default)
vpn = 10.100.135.0/24

I am trying to block certain devices (in this case, a NAS) on my lan from the internet while still being seen by everything on the lan and found the best way to do this is with Parental Controls. I put in the mac address of my internal lan only NAS and it cannot see the internet but all of my lan devices can see it. (winner).

When I make a wireguard VPN server, the client can see devices on my lan but cannot see my NAS and the NAS cannot see it. I guess I assumed the VPN was part of the lan but it seems not. When I disable the Parental Control on the NAS, then the VPN client and the NAS can see each other, but the NAS is now accessing the internet.

The question is how do I access the Parental Controlled device from the VPN while maintaining the block to the internet??
OR, How do I access a device on my lan and make sure that device is still seen on the lan and cannot access the internet??

RT-AX86u with Merlin 3004_388.8.2
lan = 10.100.141.0/24
wireguard server = 10.0.0.6/32 (default)
vpn = 10.100.135.0/24

How do I access a device on my lan and make sure that device is still seen on the lan and cannot access the internet??
i found you can better control internet access for a device once it's defined. so consider giving it a manually assigned (static) ip on the LAN - DHCP Server page and you can control said device on the NETWORK MAP page when viewing clients.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!