What's new

RT-AX86U Pro - default (V)LAN VID?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mirek

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've been trying to set up VLANs on RT-AX86U Pro - firmware 34313.
Topology: router in one room, L2 switch (D-Link DGS-1100-24) in another room - there's just one UTP between the rooms.

Requested functionality:
1) WiFi + Ethernet (default) network with DHCP (192.168.30.0/24) for trusted devices VID=???
2) WiFi + Ethernet IOT network with DHCP (192.168.63.0/24) for surveillance cams, solar power plant logger etc... VID=63
3) WiFi + Ethernet guest network with DHCP (192.168.52.0/24) - VID=52

The default network is the one which was set up in the first place when VLANs were disabled.

I've managed to create all the networks. The Trunk is established between router's LAN1 port and switch eth1 port. The problem is that once the trunk port is set on the switch, I'm not able to access the default network (192.168.30.0) on any of the the switch interfaces. The VLANs 52 and 63 are fully functional anywhere on the network but the default network is only accessible via WiFi or on the router's free LAN ports.

Trunk port setting on ASUS router -
Mode: Trunk, Profile: Allow all tagging (according to the description - all untagged packets will be dropped - from this I assume that the default network (192.168.30.0) packets are tagged, otherwise it would not work on the switch before setting up the Trunk port).

Trunk port setting on switch - Trunk, Admit All, Ingress Checking: Enabled (VLANs allowed 1, 52, 63).

I think the problem I've got is the missing/unknown VID of the default network
(and I wasn't able to find how to get/set that). The other explanation is that the router allows the default network through the Trunk port untagged or the VID=1 which would not work with the switch (already tried that).

Possible workarounds (but the solution described above is preferred):
- Setting UP third VLAN for trusted devices with known ID. So just router would use the default network. Then I would have to hide the default SSIDs as they would become useless.
- Install second UTP cable between switch and the router to carry the default network would probably work as well.

Any suggestions please?

Support Us - Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!