What's new

RT-AX86U Pro intermittent red WAN light.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sintek

New Around Here
Is this a common problem and is it fixable? I don't mind opening the case and reflowing some solder joints if that's the problem, but if it can be fixed by software or settings all the better.

As I was typing this, I looked over at the router and the WAN light is off yet I'm still online. This is the third ASUS router (previously had AC86U and AC68U) that's been more of a headache than it's worth.

What is the router connected to upstream? A modem? If possible check the upstream device (router or modem) to see if it indicates any issues.
What is the WAN configuration? Are you using Dual WAN or have any special WAN settings?
Have you replaced the WAN cable as a troubleshooting test?
Which port is being used for WAN? The 1GB WAN port, the 2.5GB port or some other port (like USB)?
What firmware is the router running?
If running Asus-Merlin firmware, do you have any add-on scripts being run?

Never had such an issue (as of yet) on a RT-AX86U Pro. Router has been flawless in my use case. If I pull the WAN cable out and reinsert it to the WAN port the WAN LED turns red only for a few seconds before returning to white (or the standard color indicating operation).

Is this a common problem and is it fixable? I don't mind opening the case and reflowing some solder joints if that's the problem, but if it can be fixed by software or settings all the better.

As I was typing this, I looked over at the router and the WAN light is off yet I'm still online. This is the third ASUS router (previously had AC86U and AC68U) that's been more of a headache than it's worth.

Given it is an LED/control issue.. i.e., you are not losing Internet access (mobile devices are not switching to cellular service when the WAN LED is OFF... webUI not showing a lose of WAN connection)... then I would suspect firmware confusion first; then hardware... if you did not Hard Reset the current firmware and configure from scratch, I would try that.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!