What's new

RT-AX88U Link Down on PC boot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v4SlSUftQQKfBPU5pqnE

New Around Here
Hi there,

I've been battling with an issue for the past few months, and I'm a bit at a loss as to how to solve it.

I have a ISP Router with a passthrough to my RT-AX88U Pro. My ISP provides 10Gbps, so the Asus Router is connected with a 10Gbps RJ45 cable to the 2.5G port of the Router (eth0). Downstream, one of the 1G ports is connected to a 1G switch, to which two PCs are connected. I note that they are not plugged into the same outlet at all (not even in the same room).

The weird behaviour is that when I don't boot either of the two PCs for a little while (ranging from 2-3 days to 1 week), when I boot it the router drops its wan connection. There is no clear reason for the problem in the logs, it simply starts with "WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link down." It then goes back up within a few seconds, such as:
"WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link down.
kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link up.
rc_service: wanduck 1559:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
lldpd[2487]: removal request for address of 192.168.1.170%22, but no knowledge of it
dnsmasq[20737]: read /etc/hosts - 78 names
[...]
kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link DOWN.
WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link down.
[...]
kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link Up at 2500 mbps full duplex
WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link up
."

According to the logs, the issue is brief, but the effect on the rest of the network usually lasts 5-10 minutes before I can access the internet (local network is not affected).

I have tried resetting the router, the ISP box, changing every cable on the whole network, to no avail. It continues to happen every so often, but the seeming randomness of it (except "every so often, after more than 2-3 days where a PC if turned off").

I am currently on Firmware: 3004.388.7. I know there's a newer version, but the issue has been present with the last 3 firmware versions, and the changelog to 388.8 doesn't seem to include anything related.

Any ideas on where the problem might lie?

Thanks a lot!