What's new

RT-BE88U won't connect to internet after reboot.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ynnek63

New Around Here
This is the 2nd BE88U I have bought that won't connect to the internet after a manual reboot. The first one I returned thinking it might just be a defective unit, but the second unit is doing the same thing. The first was bought from Best Buy and the second from Amazon. The initial setup on both went well. Everything seemed to working well until I did a manual reboot thru the webUI. On both units I did physically unplug both the cable modem and the router and then plugged in the cable modem in first, waited for it to boot up and connect and then plugged the router in and powered it up. Still no internet. I can see devices connected to my local network, but no internet connectivity. The newest unit was on the latest firmware when I did a check thru the UI.

I am coming from an RT-AX88U, which I am currently using to get internet. I have owned 4 or 5 Asus routers, most with Merlin firmware, and have never had any issues like this. I even tried swapping the ethernet cable to no avail.

My internet provider is Spectrum 1gb plan (my speeds are usually in the 650mbps range) with an Arris SB6190 cable modem which I own.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wanna love this router like I have my other Asus routers.

I've seen issues like this, but on my fibre internet. The mac address on the router is cached at the ONT and needs a considerable amount of time to be powered down for the cache to clear. I'm not sure if Spectrum or your cable modem have a similar caching policy. Have you attempted to use the RT-AX88u as a bridge to pass traffic through to the BE to see if it then connects? Or setup the BE as an aimesh node and connected a device to it and get internet?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wanna love this router like I have my other Asus routers
Have you tried adjusting router "WAN > Internet Connection > DHCP query frequency".

Router and modem must negotiat handshaking. Modems are designed to work with many routers and routers to work with many brand modems. This handshaking can take several minutes and reboots for your modem to go through many hand shaking schemes. So, my recomendation is to allow several minutes (perhaps up to 10 minutes) for hand shaking to work.

I also suggest you factory reset your modem so it is forced to go through it's handshaking algorithm when you connect your router.

ADDED....
BTW, if your Surfboard modem is 5 years or older, time for a new one. Why? Older modems don't support newer modem firmware that may accept handshaking.

I had just such a case with my old Motorola 6800. I ended up replacing it with a Netgear and had to wait several minutes as the new modem went through several handshaking algorithm before connecting to my AX-88U-PRO.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!