What's new

[rt-n16] vpn pptp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jazzman7411

New Around Here
Newbie here
Some basics not quite working for me....

Im trying setup a vpn (PPTP) on my mac and connect using the latest merlin build. But failing to authenticate, tried none, and with encryption.

ASUS RT-N16 (PPTP only)
ASUSWRT Merlin Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.34_2
OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

IS anyone running the same as above and successfully if so, please advise configuration....

BTW Merlin keep up the good work!!! have a couple of RT-N16's thanks for great work!!!!
Thanks In Advance

Last edited:
It isn't clear to me if you are trying to run the VPN on your router or on your MAC PC.

If running the VPN on your PC the only setting you may need to adjust on your router is enabling PPTP pass through. Not all firmware has this option, but if you think this might be the problem connect your PC directly to the modem and see if the problem goes away.

If you are failing to authenticate it usually means that there is a problem with your username and password combination. Check the password that you are using for your PPTP connection is the PPTP password and not your account password. With HMA you have both. Also be sure that the server you are trying to connect to supports PPTP. Some VPN providers have different servers for Open, L2TP and PPTP.

Also unless all you want to do is bypass geo blocking, PPTP VPNs are almost worthless for security.

Hi CaptainSTX

Thanks its was authentication username issue
I was referring to the router running pptp server and os x connecting via the inbuilt client.

PPTP is only option on the RT-N16, as openvpn not yet on merlins RT-N16 build.

Thanks

Last edited:
PPTP is only option on the RT-N16, as openvpn not yet on merlins RT-N16 build.

There won't be openvpn in Merlin's builds for the RT-N16 as it lacks enough nvram to be safely executed.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12106

However, you can install entware on a properly formatted usb flash drive and install openvpn from there.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware

...or go with dd-wrt, or tomato...

I never did get dd-wrt openvpn running correctly on my rt-n16, among other features of dd-wrt, so I'd lean towards tomato if you have to go to another firmware. Since the openvpn code is from tomato, you'll have better luck with that I would easily think...