What's new

RT-N66 Should I use WPS for Setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noladad

Occasional Visitor
About to go home and replace my old Linksys with the RT-N66. Am a complete noobie and read some tutorials last night about setting up a network. If I understand correctly, WPS is a shortcut to getting clients enabled and onto the network, but is unsecured. Is this correct? If so, am I better off skipping WPS even though it means typing in a long password on each device?

Thanks,
Mark

About to go home and replace my old Linksys with the RT-N66. Am a complete noobie and read some tutorials last night about setting up a network. If I understand correctly, WPS is a shortcut to getting clients enabled and onto the network, but is unsecured. Is this correct? If so, am I better off skipping WPS even though it means typing in a long password on each device?

Thanks,
Mark

WPS isn't as insecure as it used to be (there was multiple vulnerabilities disclosed in the past years, most of them are solved by now).

WPS is indeed mostly intended to make setups easier. You could enable WPS, use it to connect your clients, then disable it afterward if you're worried about the potential security implications.

The setup wizard defaults to WPA2 AES wireless security. The router is very friendly to noobs for setup. You shouldn't have any problems with setup.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!