What's new

RT-N66u - 3.0.0.4.270.25b Merlin - Web & SSH works from WAN despite being disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

workfromphone

New Around Here
Hi,
I am running 3.0.0.4.270.25b merlin on my RT-N66u. I have "Allow SSH access from WAN" and "Enable Web Access from WAN" both set to No. However, I can still access both SSH and the Web GUI (port 80) from the public internet. I noticed this because I saw multiple connection attempts from random IPs in the log. Looks like someone is trying to hack into my router/network.

Are these settings only enforced if the Firewall is enabled? I have it disabled because I work from home and some customer VPNs give issues with the firewall enabled.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

I disabled Allow "SSH access from WAN" and "Enable Web Access from WAN" for curiosity and I can't connect from wan to ssh or http, I only managed to connect to ssh from lan with wan address :)
It's not such a good idea to disable builtin firewall.

Looks like those features are dependent on the firewall as the Webserver and SSH daemon are listening on all interfaces (instead of just the LAN IP).

admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# netstat -an | egrep -e':22|:80'
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

After enabling the firewall, the access to SSH and the Web GUI from the Internet were denied. Does anyone know where the sshd or httpd config files are so I can configure them to only listen on the LAN interface?

Thanks

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online