What's new

RT-N66U compatible with OS X & Safari?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveF

New Around Here
I'm getting a new wireless router. The Wirecutter recommendation, and some AVS posts, led me to Small Net Builder reviews on the ASUS router. My home is all Apple, and this would be an upgrade from a 2007 Airport Extreme.

But I'm concerned that the router's configuraiton tools aren't OS X Safari (or iOS Mobile Safari) compatible.

In researching, this one negative review at Amazon got me concerned:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2XMOO...e=UTF8&ASIN=B006QB1RPY&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Trying to find information from there, Asus says nothing about what browsers its configuration tool is compatible with. Their downloads only give utilities for Windows. And here at SNB, there are a few comments on Safari problems.

Will I be able to setup an Asus router with a Mac or iPad? Or am I better off with a new Airport Extreme from Apple?

Thanks!

It should work with Safari, but if in doubt you can always use Chrome or Firefox for OS X.

I'm getting a new wireless router. The Wirecutter recommendation, and some AVS posts, led me to Small Net Builder reviews on the ASUS router. My home is all Apple, and this would be an upgrade from a 2007 Airport Extreme.

But I'm concerned that the router's configuraiton tools aren't OS X Safari (or iOS Mobile Safari) compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2XMOO...e=UTF8&ASIN=B006QB1RPY&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Trying to find information from there, Asus says nothing about what browsers its configuration tool is compatible with. Their downloads only give utilities for Windows. And here at SNB, there are a few comments on Safari problems.

Will I be able to setup an Asus router with a Mac or iPad? Or am I better off with a new Airport Extreme from Apple?

Thanks!

We are not regular Apple users but have an iPad 3 for testing and reading. The Asus RT-N66U has never ever given us problems with the iPad. A couple of our customers are Apple only SOHO and they use this router with no problem.

I have just logged on the router with Safari and everything works beautifully.

Last edited:
We are not regular Apple users but have an iPad 3 for testing and reading. The Asus RT-N66U has never ever given us problems with the iPad. A couple of our customers are Apple only SOHO and they use this router with no problem.

I have just logged on the router with Safari and everything works beautifully.

Great! Thanks!

Not everything is fine with Safari

I've been playing around with this router for the last two weeks -- Safari does however have some problems with the admin website. Some javascript fails to execute (adding users, applying changes, ...) and causes the spinning progress indicator to spin forever.

Firefox doesn't have any problems -- haven't tested Chrome.

Thanks!

I'm also mostly Mac at my house and the only problem I've run into so far is my two Airport Express 802.11g routers have problems finding the network. I've tried all sorts of settings and it usually takes a restart of the AE's to fix the problem. Other than that I have no problems with the iPod Touch 3g or iPad 3g connecting to the network.

Be aware that this router is not compatible with HFS+ and Time Machine for USB hard drives.

Be aware that this router is not compatible with HFS+ and Time Machine for USB hard drives.

Most devices aren't compatible with HFS+ natively. I have a Synology which is running Linux and I have Time Machine compatibility even though the file system is EXT4 (via netatalk I assume). You'll need to see if netatalk is installable on the RT-N66U or if other firmwares have it.