What's new

RT-N66U Dropping WAN Log attached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jgree32

New Around Here
Frequent reader first time poster...

Running latest f/w from asus: 3.0.0.4.376_1071

Frequently throughout the day i experience a loss of internet. Wifi devices remain connected to the router as do wired devices. PC just starts saying "no internet connection" for the LAN status. This will last 10-15 sec or so and things resume as normal.

I've been fighting this issue for a while now. At first I thought it was a Wifi only issue but it's not. I've tried resets and even Merlin's firmware.

I grabbed a capture of the log when it just happened. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at but I do see message related to WAN.

I've attached the log.

Attachments

• routerLog.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 471
I'm not an expert, but this line stands out:

Sep 25 16:49:43 stop_wan(): perform DHCP release

Then a bit down there's DDNS connecting errors, and after about 1 minute from the above posted error, DDNS finally connects. It's after that that DHCP seems to start assigning your devices looking for IPs an IP address...so...I don't know much about these, but do you have DDNS enabled?

I'm not a huge network engineer/troubleshooter, but it would appear DDNS is causing some issue.

Someone please, correct me if I am WAY off base here.

EDIT: It errors twice with DDNS here:
Sep 25 16:50:10 ddns update: error connecting to ns1.asuscomm.com:80

When DDNS connects here:
Sep 25 16:50:20 ddns update: connected to ns1.asuscomm.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Sep 25 16:50:20 ddns update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 23:50:32 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.4.9 (Unix) PHP/5.5.14 OpenSSL/1.0.1h^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.14^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html^M ^M

Your devices start getting DHCP.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but this line stands out:

Sep 25 16:49:43 stop_wan(): perform DHCP release

Then a bit down there's DDNS connecting errors, and after about 1 minute from the above posted error, DDNS finally connects. It's after that that DHCP seems to start assigning your devices looking for IPs an IP address...so...I don't know much about these, but do you have DDNS enabled?

I'm not a huge network engineer/troubleshooter, but it would appear DDNS is causing some issue.

Someone please, correct me if I am WAY off base here.

EDIT: It errors twice with DDNS here:
Sep 25 16:50:10 ddns update: error connecting to ns1.asuscomm.com:80

When DDNS connects here:
Sep 25 16:50:20 ddns update: connected to ns1.asuscomm.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Sep 25 16:50:20 ddns update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 23:50:32 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.4.9 (Unix) PHP/5.5.14 OpenSSL/1.0.1h^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.14^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html^M ^M

Your devices start getting DHCP.

I do have DDNS enabled through the builtin Asus one.
Is there an issue with their service?

That may make sense b/c I have an IPcamera I access through the DDNS address. Frequently I cannot access the camera using the DDNS address and have to use the local LAN address. Then the problem will just go away and it will work fine.

Guess I could try disabling it to see if alleviates the issue. I do want to use DDNS though.....

I do have DDNS enabled through the builtin Asus one.
Is there an issue with their service?

That may make sense b/c I have an IPcamera I access through the DDNS address. Frequently I cannot access the camera using the DDNS address and have to use the local LAN address. Then the problem will just go away and it will work fine.

Guess I could try disabling it to see if alleviates the issue. I do want to use DDNS though.....

I would say disable it for the time being, and see if you notice a difference. If you do and need DDNS, maybe research that and see what/why that could be causing your WAN issue. I don't have DDNS enabled on my router, so I am afraid troubleshooting the "Why?" part of that I won't be of any use.

Same issue..

Same issue apparently - Glad I saw your post.. I was 10 seconds to flashing my RT66U

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 711
Same issue here with 3.0.0.4.378.51_0

Every few days (perhaps ISP assigns a new WAN?) my WAN goes down and DHCP is unable to assign a new IP until I disable my DDNS. After my WAN is up again I re-enable DDNS and it works fine.

I know this is all anecdotal but I hope it helps.

Attachments

• Log.txt
    17 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!