What's new

RT-N66U Router restart after power failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alternety

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-N66U router running Merlin's firmware.

I have noticed for some time (across more than one firmware release) that when power fails, the router will not turn back on until the power button on the back is turned off and on again. Is it supposed to work this way?

My phones are on there and I would really like for this to restart without intervention.

I realize I did not phrase the question very well.
How do I stop it from doing that?

Not sure because this is not normal. If the power fails and the router is plugged in and turned on it should power back up with no problem once power is restored.

Often, this happens because the router is ready before the modem, and when the router starts sending DHCP requests and isn't getting answers back, the ISP still ends up blacklisting your MAC. This is the case with Charter for instance. The solution is to change the DHCP frequency from Agressive to Normal on the WAN page.

Merlin I will try that. Just to maybe clarify, the router is not just not getting connected - all lights are out. No activity.

Merlin I will try that. Just to maybe clarify, the router is not just not getting connected - all lights are out. No activity.

In that case I suspect you are having some heavy power fluctuations when the power goes out/comes back. You'll need a UPS to resolve that.

It is on a UPS. Not the real expensive version that rectifies line power and generates its' own AC out all the time.

It is on a UPS. Not the real expensive version that rectifies line power and generates its' own AC out all the time.

So your router is on a UPS, yet its LEDs turn themselves off when there's an outage, requiring you to power cycle it? Sounds like the UPS isn't doing much...

Here is the scenario.
Power is out for 4 hours. UPS is good for 30 minutes, then it turns off. But it does provide some leveling on fluctuations and supposedly spike protection while it is supplying power to its' output connectors and line voltage supply is being messy. I have surge protectors on the power box after the meter. Every device in my office is either plugged into a surge protector or the UPS. If power goes out when I am there, I turn the UPS output off to conserve power to make a phone call if needed. Usually the cable stays up during power failures. Their cable seems more robust than a power line. I have seen a good number of them holding up the tree part that took out the power wire. Or being pushed to the ground and still working.

I come back in 5 hours, bring the UPS back up online. It will charge automatically when power is restored, but will not automatically start to feed attached devices. The 1GB switch comes on. The cable modem comes on, the phone device comes on. The router - no. Dead. No leds lit at all. Release power switch on router and then push to turn it back on. Router reboots with all the pretty lights. Generally it is then able to negotiate with the cable modem, and the telephone device successfully. Switch is happy, it is not really very interested in any of this.

Here is the scenario.
Power is out for 4 hours. UPS is good for 30 minutes, then it turns off. But it does provide some leveling on fluctuations and supposedly spike protection while it is supplying power to its' output connectors and line voltage supply is being messy. I have surge protectors on the power box after the meter. Every device in my office is either plugged into a surge protector or the UPS. If power goes out when I am there, I turn the UPS output off to conserve power to make a phone call if needed. Usually the cable stays up during power failures. Their cable seems more robust than a power line. I have seen a good number of them holding up the tree part that took out the power wire. Or being pushed to the ground and still working.

I come back in 5 hours, bring the UPS back up online. It will charge automatically when power is restored, but will not automatically start to feed attached devices. The 1GB switch comes on. The cable modem comes on, the phone device comes on. The router - no. Dead. No leds lit at all. Release power switch on router and then push to turn it back on. Router reboots with all the pretty lights. Generally it is then able to negotiate with the cable modem, and the telephone device successfully. Switch is happy, it is not really very interested in any of this.

My N66 is configured as an access point, whenever the power fails here longer than my UPS can stay up, I also have to start it manually with the power button. All other devices connected to the UPS start on their own. My AC68 and AC87 always start on their own but are not connected to a UPS. Weird!