What's new

RT-N66U (VER.B1) bad WAN Port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jreed

New Around Here
A couple days ago while on my desktop I lost my internet connection and after trouble shooting my router which is the RT-N66U (VER.B1) wasn't working wired or wirelessly even though all lights were on and looked fine. I was currently on Merlin firmware from early February.

After finding this post by Merlin: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=76653&postcount=11

I used this method to flash the most current Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561, I finished the set up and everything looked fine again but then after about 10-15 minutes I lost all wired and wireless connections again.

I then followed the same process again and this time flashed Merlin's latest version RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.40_0.trx again everything seemed fine but after around 10 minutes I lost all wired and wireless internet access again the same as before.

Each time after installing I'd telnet to the router on 192.168.1.1 and clear the nvram by doing

Code:
mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

I also verified on each install the new firmware version number did show up correctly.

So I'm wondering if my WAN port has gone out or at least isn't stable and this is a hardware issue and it's time to get a new router?

Thanks for any input.

A couple days ago while on my desktop I lost my internet connection and after trouble shooting my router which is the RT-N66U (VER.B1) wasn't working wired or wirelessly even though all lights were on and looked fine. I was currently on Merlin firmware from early February.

After finding this post by Merlin: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=76653&postcount=11

I used this method to flash the most current Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561, I finished the set up and everything looked fine again but then after about 10-15 minutes I lost all wired and wireless connections again.

I then followed the same process again and this time flashed Merlin's latest version RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.40_0.trx again everything seemed fine but after around 10 minutes I lost all wired and wireless internet access again the same as before.

Each time after installing I'd telnet to the router on 192.168.1.1 and clear the nvram by doing

Code:
mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

I also verified on each install the new firmware version number did show up correctly.

So I'm wondering if my WAN port has gone out or at least isn't stable and this is a hardware issue and it's time to get a new router?

Thanks for any input.

So you're saying that you put the router in to recovery mode to update the firmware? Why? Why don't you just update the firmware normal. And then reset to factory defaults as per manual and press reset button for more than 5 seconds.

Go to Asus website and read your manual to learn how to update the firmware the normal way.

Then connect directly to your modem and see how the internet connection is. Who is your ISP? What's the make and model of your modem? Maybe your modem is shot. Check your cables too.

If you are having WAN stability issues, try disabling NAT acceleration, and also keep an eye on your modem to confirm it's not crashing and rebooting (that has happened with quite a few users who thought at first the issue was their router).

I had similar issues...this was my fix.

1) replace Ethernet cable between modem and router...if that doesn't work...
2) plug computer directly to modem and check...if it still cuts in and out...
3) Call your cable company...

My problem was the cable coming into the house from the street. It didn't have the required ohms to keep a constant internet signal, but my cable TV was fine, that's why I never suspected it... Cable company replaced the cable, never had a problem again. Hope this helps.

So you're saying that you put the router in to recovery mode to update the firmware? Why? Why don't you just update the firmware normal. And then reset to factory defaults as per manual and press reset button for more than 5 seconds.

Go to Asus website and read your manual to learn how to update the firmware the normal way.

Then connect directly to your modem and see how the internet connection is. Who is your ISP? What's the make and model of your modem? Maybe your modem is shot. Check your cables too.

When I lose internet connectivity I also can no longer access the router's web interface and upgrade the the firmware using the normal method. So I set up my network configuration so that I have a static IP address on the 192.168.1.0/24 network block. I used 192.168.1.10 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.0.

I can then ping the router(192.168.1.1) and continue the firmware flash process.

I do directly connect to my modem, now that I'm home and it's all been solid and no issues the past couple hours. I have a motorola surfboard SB5100. Checking the signal on the modem page it shows 42 on the upstream and -10 on the downstream, Signal to Noise Ratio on downstream is 38 dB. Also checking the logs on the router I don't see any errors in the past 3 days.

I have switched out a couple cables, and can try others.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
I had similar issues...this was my fix.

1) replace Ethernet cable between modem and router...if that doesn't work...
2) plug computer directly to modem and check...if it still cuts in and out...
3) Call your cable company...

My problem was the cable coming into the house from the street. It didn't have the required ohms to keep a constant internet signal, but my cable TV was fine, that's why I never suspected it... Cable company replaced the cable, never had a problem again. Hope this helps.

When directly connected I haven't had any issues at all, I'll switch out more cables between the modem and router. I love it to be that.