What's new

RT-N66u WiFi keeps dropping connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illama

Occasional Visitor
I'm having a interesting issue with my router. So I am using the latest version of RMerlin's firmware 374.43 .. I had this issue on the previous version which was 374.39, but it seems like since I have upgraded it has got worse. Each time I flashed firmware, I reset to factory defaults and left modem unplugged for 10 minutes.

A overview of whats happening.. The Wifi will be working fine for a few hours with good speed, range and no hiccups, but then all of a sudden all device lose connection to the 2.4GHz network. It still broadcasts and I can see signal strength on my device and Wifi analyzer, but my phone for example wont connect. I have tried to forget connection and re connect but it doesn't connect still. To solve the issue, I just reboot the router and all is well again for a few hours.

A few other settings.. In the past I always used channel 1 because other routers around me do not. I changed to channel 6 yesterday to test and it seems like it got worse. I have the TX power set to 100, 20Mhz only, and b/g protection on.

Please help! Let me know if you need any other info, I would be glad to provide it.

Tried changing the channel from 1 to 6 to 11 with no luck. It still went out over night again. This morning I tried loading the latest Asus firmware to see if it helps at all. I plan on contacting Asus this weekend, thinking it may be hardware related.

Nobody else has a idea?

Tried changing the channel from 1 to 6 to 11 with no luck. It still went out over night again. This morning I tried loading the latest Asus firmware to see if it helps at all. I plan on contacting Asus this weekend, thinking it may be hardware related.

Nobody else has a idea?

The driver Merlin uses for nt-66u isn't broadly compatible.

You may have to stick with stock firmware.

Be sure to reset to defaults and remove your wireless profiles from all your devices.

HI,
how many devices are on your WiFi? Maybe one of them is causing the problem? If you can, try with just one device of your choice to see it does the same thing. You proved channel setting is not an issue, go to next step. Any noise source in your house like cordless phone, microwave oven, garage door opener, wireless thermostat..... could be culprit too. Updating f/w is not always the solution. If change log does not mention
any thing related to your problem, why update? New f/w can add another problem throwing in one more variable. Trouble-shooting needs logical approach to minimize wasting time and efforts. Our router whatever it may be does stay up 24/7,
otherwise kids, wife will holler loud at me instantly, LOL!

The driver Merlin uses for nt-66u isn't broadly compatible.

You may have to stick with stock firmware.

Be sure to reset to defaults and remove your wireless profiles from all your devices.

Trying that now, will see if it helps at all.

HI,
how many devices are on your WiFi? Maybe one of them is causing the problem? If you can, try with just one device of your choice to see it does the same thing. You proved channel setting is not an issue, go to next step. Any noise source in your house like cordless phone, microwave oven, garage door opener, wireless thermostat..... could be culprit too. Updating f/w is not always the solution. If change log does not mention
any thing related to your problem, why update? New f/w can add another problem throwing in one more variable. Trouble-shooting needs logical approach to minimize wasting time and efforts. Our router whatever it may be does stay up 24/7,
otherwise kids, wife will holler loud at me instantly, LOL!

There is 8-10 devices that connect through WiFi. Nothing new though that wasnt on the Wifi when I wasn't having these problems. Same with devices that may cause interference (microwave and garage door opener). They have been there since I first got the router.

It used to stay up 24/7 with no issues! Now my wife calls me at work to figure out how to reboot the thing. You would think after once or twice she'd remember :confused: .. Probably just making a point to bug me so I fix it faster :D

Just talked to my wife and with the Asus firmware, it has gone out 3-4 times today within a 6 hour period. So it doesn't at all seem to be related to using RMerlin's firmware or Asus firmware.

Hi,
Often we over look simplest thing. You can try different AC adapter
if you have any spare kicking around. I never use stock adapter.
I always use lab. grade power supply for my routers. Does yours over heating by any chance?

Hi,
Often we over look simplest thing. You can try different AC adapter
if you have any spare kicking around. I never use stock adapter.
I always use lab. grade power supply for my routers. Does yours over heating by any chance?

I will check to see if I have another AC adapter around, I don't think I do though.

I looked into over heating at first, moved it to a more open area and watched the temperature on it and it was always around 53C, which I think isn't that bad.

Well I finally contacted Asus and they are having me send it in for further evaluation.

In the meantime, I hooked up a older linksys e1500 router to use while I am without the Asus router and I have not had a single hiccup yet, which confirms its not something with my modem and/or ISP.

Just another update..

Asus contacted me last week and told me that the router was unrepairable. Did not exactly say what was wrong with it but they are sending me a new router.

Funny, because I'm having the same issue. 2.4GHz suddenly stops working, and the solution is a reboot, or to go in to the firmware and turn the 2.4GHz radio off and on again. However, I'm running Shibby Tomato USB. Tried upgrading to the latest version but it didn't change anything.
So either is there a bad radio firmware floating around that several router firmware uses, or the 2.4GHz radio is just dying.

Funny, because I'm having the same issue. 2.4GHz suddenly stops working, and the solution is a reboot, or to go in to the firmware and turn the 2.4GHz radio off and on again. However, I'm running Shibby Tomato USB. Tried upgrading to the latest version but it didn't change anything.
So either is there a bad radio firmware floating around that several router firmware uses, or the 2.4GHz radio is just dying.

I will say that I did not have any issue until I started using Merlins firmware. But even after it started, I started using a Asus firmware and still had the issue, so either Merlins somehow messed it up permanently or just a coincidence of bad timing lol.

But Asus did send me another router and I immediately put Merlins build on there and has been working flawlessly since I got it back up and running.

Can you post a screenshot of inSSIDer?

How did you rule out interference?

Use "20 MHz" for 2.4 Ghz.

Well after the router worked fine for the last week or two, it started doing the exact same thing again today. The only thing I can think that changed was I put Merlins build on the router before it started acting up again. I went back to Asus firmware after resetting everything and clearing the nvram and it still happens. It makes me think it has to be something with the modem/ISP side, BUT I can use my cisco router with 0 problems for days.

Iam lost :confused::confused::confused: