What's new

RT66U-Cant set allow only list on ddwrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Userfor

New Around Here
I have Asus AC66U with ddwrt and how many times i try on 2,4ghz radio wifi allow mac address list dont work.Router is on ddwrt fw i changed builds and try nothing to do job successfuly.

In order for this to work, the wireless driver must support the following commands, which you can verify via ssh/telnet.

Code:
wl mac
wl macmode

The former lists those mac addresses being filtered. The latter whether they are blacklisted or whitelisted.

Problem is, not every Broadcom driver supports these options. And as a general rule, DD-WRT tends to display the MAC filter option whether or not they are supported. IOW, if it's Broadcom, it may simply be assuming it does.

Yes code works wl macmode, but there is only macs for 5ghz radio no 2.4,and connection and internet works on 5ghz mode, but no macs like in list for 2.4 ghz in putty on code

I have same problem with Asus RT18U,i was put all macs in mac list i web ui, end now i was enable mac list in ui.Wifi can not connect only when i turn off mac filter.In putty wlan macmode is show 2 and wl mac dont show any mac address,same with RT66U on 2.4Ghz radio

Sounds like a problem (limitation?) w/ the driver. All DD-WRT can do is enable and configure the appropriate settings w/ the wl command. Typically, the developers only receive the wireless drivers from the vendor as a binary blob, so they have no ability to change or fix anything. Best you might be able to do is perhaps find a different version of DD-WRT where the drivers at that time worked as expected (assuming they ever did).

It's for this reason that you're probably better off to use the more generic mac filtering available w/ Access Restrictions. Or even write your own firewall rules if that proves unsatisfactory or limiting (perhaps w/ the addition of denying DHCP to unknown clients using DNSMasq). At least that's under the control of the DD-WRT developers.

Last edited:
How is same problem on both routers, in same situation? More like i cant set it ok ? Its Rt18u and RT AC66U, I dont say its not just hope its me and i will learn what i need to learn.

I want to learn to overcame that problem it cant be that on two routers are have same problem with mac filter,maybe but i am not sure. How do i enter mac adresses in putty with w code to make router memorise them? And how to make save changes, is that nvram commit command
I have 76 macs i want to make allow only to router in 2ghz radio

There is problem with upgrading samba with some versions 3 like that before 2020 yeuar is ok to use router with hard disk on ftp or samba but later hard likely, so i have to use from 2018 builds of ddwrt
On rt18u i was used and latest build to see is that fixed no if mac filter is on and my any device mac address trys with in router writed permit only list dont have wifi connection or dont have internet its limited connection, sometimes is difrent but no internet anyhow

FWIW - MAC whitelisting, now that we have MAC randomization on all major OS's, mobile and desktop, is a bit of a lost cause.

Better to have strong wireless security - WPA2, or even better yet, WPA3, and a strong passphrase is all that is needed...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online