What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v2.0.17 -June 8, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner + Speedtest) (New BETA12 Available!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had this issue over the weekend. I believe my CPU was probably overloaded and it would not run the speedtest thru RTRMON. I went to the internal GUI & tried thru there and my router froze & the WiFi dropped. I can't say if the CPU was overloaded or not or maybe something else caused for the WiFi to drop.

View attachment 60057
If these are the same unknown operands that @CaptainSTX was talking about, then I think I may have just fixed these in beta4...

But yeah, in your case, it looks like your system was toast... it even says "cannot open socket". That means the speedtest binary was no longer able to function correctly either.

Very nice adding this patch. Now if only we could get per client Signal strength. 😉
I believe I can make that happen... do we all agree that this is the value?

smoothed rssi: -58

Ubuntu has a nice wifi list for ap's which I've always wished was available on merlin. So if rtrmon can do something similar I believe it to be valuable with the removal of wifi radar. I know what I'm asking for is clients strength, not ssid's.. but could do both. lol.
Screenshot 2024-07-08 211142.png

(not my photo)

I think I've encountered a bug. Once I get to the Attached Wireless + Wired Clients it takes a long time to populate and sometimes locks up. The page refresh time expires and refreshes the page before you can really see anything. I noticed I can't keep going to the next page without it giving a error about a malformed code then it kicks me back to the amtm menu.

Code:
/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh: line 1: malformed ?: operator

edit: seems hit or miss depending on if it freezes.

Last edited:
I think I've encountered a bug. Once I get to the Attached Wireless + Wired Clients it takes a long time to populate and sometimes locks up. The page refresh time expires and refreshes the page before you can really see anything. I noticed I can't keep going to the next page without it giving a error about a malformed code then it kicks me back to the amtm menu.

Code:

edit: seems hit or miss depending on if it freezes.
It's a known issue that I haven't been able to get around... you can reproduce by hitting the "s" key after the timer his 10s, and it does it's calculations before it starts the timer over again. There's usually a 1 second lag there depending if you're running a VPN or not.

Please refresh Beta 4... Signal strength has been added per @DJones suggestion! :)

1720489639892.png

Increased the timer from 10s to 30 and it gives me enough time even on a slow population to see everything before it refreshes. 30s isn't quite realtime for everything else, but its a work around. I have a lot of lan devices so it takes a hot few seconds.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 215627.png

Last edited:
If it comes back with something other than 0, then there's an issue.

Doesn't work exactly as you wrote it.

TheMan@RT-AX86S-6D28:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain

nslookup: can't resolve 'google.com'
TheMan@RT-AX86S-6D28:/tmp/home/root# echo $?

HOWEVER IF I JUST REQUEST NSLOOKUP for google.com I get a result.

TheMan@RT-AX86S-6D28:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com
Server: 75.75.75.75
Address 1: 75.75.75.75 cdns01.comcast.net

Name: google.com
Address 1: 142.250.217.238 mia07s62-in-f14.1e100.net
Address 2: 2607:f8b0:4008:814::200e mia07s62-in-x0e.1e100.net
TheMan@RT-AX86S-6D28:/tmp/home/root#

I will when I get a chance later today update to the latest version and see if it resolves the client connection type.

Thanks.

Beta 4 is now correctly showing all clients except one connected to guest networks and even breaks it down by radio. The one WiFi device that it shows being connected to the LAN which could be the result of the fact that the device is actually offline.

Still seeing the message in grey 2X that 0: Unkown operand and then if I ask it to run a speedtest I get them same message 2X in green.

If I try to update stats on another page it seems to hang up the app.

Last edited:
Thanks @JGrana! I'm excited to see your work! I am with you and I feel ya... this was a hair-pulling project, and it's not over yet, because I'm still seeing weird anomalies as well, such as duplications at times... which I'm pretty sure is a coding issue.

I did consider RMerlin's advice, but going that route of using nmap/arp pings in my case would just create too much of a lag in displaying that screen. I ended up deciding to use /proc/net/arp as the main list, that contains all wireless/wired clients, and remove wifi clients from it as I identified them going down each wifi interface... and then whatever is left over, MUST be the LAN clients. ;) It's crude, but it seems to work, and matches what I'm seeing on my end.
Yes, nmap takes quite some time to scan the network. And, I believe it relies on clients to be reasonably responsive - unless you let nmap do lots of retries.
My observation in watching the output of nmap in a loop - some clients don't respond the first pass - but then do later. Especially IoT devices that go to sleep quickly.
I can better understand why Asus network map runs as a background task now.

/proc/net/arp does pretty good - once you filter the flags field.

Thanks for the tip on the comm command! Also, I like the fact that you're showing what kind of device it is based on what nmap is coming back with... very helpful in actually identifying unknown devices on the network!
Your welcome - great for comparing 2 files different ways.

Doesn't work exactly as you wrote it.

nslookup: can't resolve 'google.com'
TheMan@RT-AX86S-6D28:/tmp/home/root# echo $?
The object of this test is to see if your router can resolve domains using 127.0.01 (itself). Sounds like something may be amiss with your DNS settings?

HOWEVER IF I JUST REQUEST NSLOOKUP for google.com I get a result.

TheMan@RT-AX86S-6D28:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com
Server: 75.75.75.75
Address 1: 75.75.75.75 cdns01.comcast.net
When you go about it this way, you're not explicitly telling it to use its own home address... needless to say, it should work specifying 127.0.0.1

Beta 4 is now correctly showing all clients except one connected to guest networks and even breaks it down by radio. The one WiFi device that it shows being connected to the LAN which could be the result of the fact that the device is actually offline.
I'm wiping out devices that are offline per the /proc/net/arp file... I'll have to take a look at yours and see what might be causing that. What is the mac address of this particular device that is still showing, but offline?

Still seeing the message in grey 2X that 0: Unkown operand and then if I ask it to run a speedtest I get them same message 2X in green.
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the script? Perhaps something is gummed up in some file somewhere? First, make sure you uninstall the speedtest binaries under the setup/config menu #9... then uninstall the script. That should ensure everything has been removed. Then, reinstall the script, and reinstall speedtest under option #9. Then try again? Make sure you take note on what values you used for anything else in the setup menu...

If it still happens after this, let's set you up with a debug version, and we can take a deeper dive, cool?

If I try to update stats on another page it seems to hang up the app.
I can't replicate this on either of my 2 routers... when I hit "D". it immediately flips to the Diagnostics page, and starts a diag test... :(

The object of this test is to see if your router can resolve domains using 127.0.01 (itself). Sounds like something may be amiss with your DNS settings?

When you go about it this way, you're not explicitly telling it to use its own home address... needless to say, it should work specifying 127.0.0.1

I'm wiping out devices that are offline per the /proc/net/arp file... I'll have to take a look at yours and see what might be causing that. What is the mac address of this particular device that is still showing, but offline?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the script? Perhaps something is gummed up in some file somewhere? First, make sure you uninstall the speedtest binaries under the setup/config menu #9... then uninstall the script. That should ensure everything has been removed. Then, reinstall the script, and reinstall speedtest under option #9. Then try again? Make sure you take note on what values you used for anything else in the setup menu...

If it still happens after this, let's set you up with a debug version, and we can take a deeper dive, cool?

I can't replicate this on either of my 2 routers... when I hit "D". it immediately flips to the Diagnostics page, and starts a diag test... :(
And I still see the unknown operand error when I try to "(S) Show" the display header -- there is apparently a miniscule sweet spot in order to successfully enter the S. Have you ever considered a setting for default mode of Show vs Hide?

And I still see the unknown operand error when I try to "(S) Show" the display header -- there is apparently a miniscule sweet spot in order to successfully enter the S. Have you ever considered a setting for default mode of Show vs Hide?
I might send you a debug version as well to reign in these operand errors! ;)

I might send you a debug version as well to reign in these operand errors! ;)
I eliminated some of the problems by removing rtrmon then reinstalling beta 4 again. Problem seemed to be that WAN interface change from bond1 - etho didn't change everything. Speedtest now working.

What is still not working :

No data shown for VPN RX-TX rate
Network resolution - still shows failed
Refresh Network stats shows not current if hit C to refresh locks up rtrmon even after waiting 10 minutes nothing happens.
Can't sort connected devices by either IP or MAC whatever first displays seems to be what you get.

I eliminated some of the problems by removing rtrmon then reinstalling beta 4 again. Problem seemed to be that WAN interface change from bond1 - etho didn't change everything. Speedtest now working.
One step forward! Success... ;)

What is still not working :

No data shown for VPN RX-TX rate
What happens if you restart your VPN? Also, what tunnel does it show that it's on? Tun11? etc?

Network resolution - still shows failed
As mentioned... you should be able to run a "nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1"... I would seriously look into why you're not able to.

Refresh Network stats shows not current if hit C to refresh locks up rtrmon even after waiting 10 minutes nothing happens.
Are you able to run this command? This is what the refresh network stats uses...

iftop -t -i eth0 (or replace eth0 with the WAN interface name you are using?)

Can't sort connected devices by either IP or MAC whatever first displays seems to be what you get.
I just uploaded a new beta 4... please try to refresh it and see if this version allows you to sort?

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Just curious... if you are using a 10 second loop and you hit the (S) key during the 10 second timer, does it work and show the operations menu? Or do you see an operand error there?

If I time it just right between the 10seconds, where it does a short calculation (usually 1 second), until the timer starts back at 1second again... if I hit the (S) key there, I will get this error, and the script terminates:

Is that what you're seeing?

Just curious... if you are using a 10 second loop and you hit the (S) key during the 10 second timer, does it work and show the operations menu? Or do you see an operand error there?

If I time it just right between the 10seconds, where it does a short calculation (usually 1 second), until the timer starts back at 1second again... if I hit the (S) key there, I will get this error, and the script terminates:

Is that what you're seeing?
Yes, or if I hit too early or too late, making me outside of loop.

And sorting still does not work with latest beta 4...

And sorting still does not work with latest beta 4...
Could you please do me a favor and PM me a copy of any of your populated /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/clientlisteth6.txt files (where eth6 could be different depending on what's in your folder)?

Could you please do me a favor and PM me a copy of any of your populated /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d/clientlisteth6.txt files (where eth6 could be different depending on what's in your folder)?
DM sent to you.

Sent you the text files that you asked for plus a couple of more. Connected devices are by interface seem to be in different files.

Did redownload beta4 and if there were changes don't see the results. Sort still not working and devices still default sort by name. While the grey highlight moves the sort order never changes.

I use VPN clients 1,3 & 5 which are tunnels 11,13 & 15. I restarted the clients as you suggested

I can only get the command nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1 to resolve strangely enough on a second router double NATed behind AX86. The command does not work even when run from command prompt on a PC. This is probably a quirk in my network so not something you need to be concerned with.

Let me know if you need anything else or if I need to download another beta version.