What's new

Running Hot and disabling Media renderer IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kingsfan

New Around Here
Hi,
Plugged in a brand new RT-AC66U with the latest firmware and I have the following questions:

1. It runs quite hot, even in the open and no vents blocked. I had read the reviews that it runs hot, but I worry about long term stability of the components running this hot 24x7x365. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
  2. I have my own DHCP server, thus I have disabled the built-in DHCP functionality. Yet the router assigns 2 IP addresses in my DHCP address range to the "Media Renderer". How do I prevent the router from assigning these IP addresses to itself? I have no need for the DLNA service from the router.
  3. In the Network Map --> Clients view, some of the IP addresses are hyperlinked and other IP addresses are not. Why? How does the router decide this?

Thanks for the assistance.

Hi,
Plugged in a brand new RT-AC66U with the latest firmware and I have the following questions:

1. It runs quite hot, even in the open and no vents blocked. I had read the reviews that it runs hot, but I worry about long term stability of the components running this hot 24x7x365. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
  2. I have my own DHCP server, thus I have disabled the built-in DHCP functionality. Yet the router assigns 2 IP addresses in my DHCP address range to the "Media Renderer". How do I prevent the router from assigning these IP addresses to itself? I have no need for the DLNA service from the router.
  3. In the Network Map --> Clients view, some of the IP addresses are hyperlinked and other IP addresses are not. Why? How does the router decide this?

1) Don't wory about it, the router was designed that way. My previous Linksys was even hotter than this.

2) You can disable the DLNA server under USB -> Servers Center.

3) The router will check if the IP responds to connections on port 80, in which case it will hyperlink it.

Hi,

Yeah don't worry, mine is running (acc. to Merlins firmware) 49-52'C on the 2,4ghz side and a balmy 57-59'C on the 5ghz side.

1) Don't wory about it, the router was designed that way. My previous Linksys was even hotter than this.

2) You can disable the DLNA server under USB -> Servers Center.

3) The router will check if the IP responds to connections on port 80, in which case it will hyperlink it.

I had tried disabling the DLNA server and rebooting the router, but that does not clear up the 2 IP addresses the router assigns to "Media Renderer".

Tried it again after your response, and still no go. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I had tried disabling the DLNA server and rebooting the router, but that does not clear up the 2 IP addresses the router assigns to "Media Renderer".

Tried it again after your response, and still no go. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean by "assigning two IPs to the Media Renderer". What media renderer? Is that a device on your network?

Never mind. The router designated my DirectTV receivers as "Media Renderer".
Thanks for all your help.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!