What's new

SaskTel 2Wire Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uMinded

New Around Here
I have a simple network:

Static IP @ 25310Kbps/783Kbps
|
VDSL
|
2Wire 3801HGV
|
+-- Port1 (To DTV box)
|
+-- Port2 (To Telephone)
|
+-- Port4 -- ASUS GX-D1081 5 port Gigabit Switch

And from the switch out to two computers, printer, media streamer.

My network speeds are AWEFUL!
2513916133.png

Sometimes I can get decent enough speeds to use youtube but only ever one PC at a time. I have tried putting the 2Wire into bridge mode and putting a router in place of the switch and that gives me more consistent speeds but if any more than one computer tries to do anything the whole network freezes and I need to power cycle everything.

Any idea what I can do to speed things up and make it more reliable? Thanks!

Couple things to start you out with.

1. Because you're using the same modem for TV as you are for your internet, its possible that the Multicast stream is causing congestion on your network. With a simple unmanaged switch like you have, there is no way to block that out. That said

2. If you put the wireless router back in place, and can turn off Multicast, you'll likely improve the situation greatly. However you need to ensure you can properly put that Port or computer into DMZ mode on the modem and then ensure you're using an alternative source for a firewall. What wireless router were you using when you tested?

That's where I'd start anyway.

The router was a WRH54G with DD-WRT firmware.

My main downloading computer is currently on the modems DMZ so I know it works correctly. I also had "Filter Multicast" in Security-->Firewall turned on so It should have done all that already.

On average I get better network performance with the switch and when things do bog down it usually corrects itself as the switch doesn't need a reset like the router did. (I chalked that up to the router not having enough ram for the number of connections though)